Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bloom Day Blue Bonnet ...

It's a sad state of garden affairs here in Central Texas as we celebrate Garden Bloggers Bloom Day with our friend Carol of May Dreams Gardens.

Earlier in the week, when the sun was shining on our cold winter days, there were a few perky little blooms hanging on. Despite freezes last weekend, some lonely survivors still brought us some color.

But today is dreary and rainy and the blooms are few and far between.


EXCEPT for one lonely blue bonnet.

I think this little plant must be confused. It certainly hasn't been winter long enough for it to rise from its sleep. Winter only really arrived last week.

And it's not inside the greenhouse, it's outside where all its little friends are still nothing but slowly growing foliage...biding their time to bloom far later into the spring.

In fact, last year I was posting about blue bonnets on the April 15th Bloom Day, and here it is January and already this single blue bonnet has sent up it's banner.

I'm not complaining, mind you. A bloom is a bloom. It delighted me when I first discovered it last week. And it held on for me to share it with you on Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.

I suppose it's just a small reminder that spring really isn't that far away.

21 comments:

RBell said...

I'm as surprised as you to see the bluebonnet; I'll take it as a hopeful sign of a mild winter!

Diana said...

RBell - that's what I'm hoping! We'll just have to keep out fingers crossed. At least we are finally getting a little rain. So far .67 here today.

Carolyn @ Carolyn's Shade Gardens said...

No blooms outside with deep snow cover, and none inside either, but I really enjoyed seeing your contribution to GBBD. Sometimes one beautiful flower is enough.

Diana said...

Carolyn: But I know that there are beautiful blooms just waiting to come out from you blanket of snow!

The Whimsical Gardener said...

Woohoo! Bring spring on! I'm glad to hear you say your other bluebonnets are still just bits of foliage...I planted bluebonnet seeds for the first time this fall and they are sprouting and just beginning to really look like bluebonnet foliage - yippee!

bacon seed said...

The blue bonnet may be lonely but it sure is lovely! Literally jumping out of the photograph! Simply beautiful!!

Diana said...

Whimsical Gardener: Yes, this is one lone giant blue bonnet. All of his cousins are lagging far behind. Makes you wonder what happens to them, doesn't it?!

Diana said...

Bacon seed - Thanks -- it is pretty vibrant, isn't it? Especially since it's so gray today. Love your snow painting on your blog -- we miss the snow here (but just a little!).

Caroline said...

That's one more bloom than I have today! Happy GBBD.

Diana said...

Caroline -- It is pretty dreary now, isn't it? We are soooo spoiled! But I like it that way. Happy GBBD.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

That's a pretty color, and the foliage is good looking, too! It reminds me of lupine foliage.

Diana said...

Corner Gardener Sue -- Yes, we complain now about the cold weather, but it never lasts long. We could have really nice weather again (off and on) in just 3-4 weeks. BTW, Bluebonnets are lupines, lupinus texensis. So you were right!

Kylee said...

Isn't that just like a bluebonnet? Someone told me once that they wouldn't grow here, that the season wasn't long enough for them to get big enough to bloom, but they did! Tough little plant! (And oh so beautiful!)

The Whimsical Gardener said...

Hi Diana, thanks for the comment on my gbbd day post...yes, I do know of Ali Edwards - she is wonderfully inspiring. Do you digital scrap or paper scrap? Wondering too what your word is for the year...

In looking at your interests on the google page, I see you like Stephanie Plum...this is one of my favorite series of books and The Stand is one of the few books I've read multiple times! We'll have to chat books sometime soon ;)

Diana said...

Kylee -- they are tough little plants - seems they can take our miserable heat, droughts and floods as well. Can't ask for much more than that, now can we?!

Whimsical Gardener - How funny. We should talk books and scrapping. I'm a paper girl (an addict, really!) My One Little Word for 2011 is simplify. Which is what I am doing today - deep in the recesses of my fridge while I read blogs in between!

Pam/Digging said...

Now that's just weird, isn't it? But it sure is pretty and a welcome sight.

Gail said...

Diana, I say enough with this winter! I am ready for an early spring~Your blue bonnet is a good sign! gail

Mac_fromAustralia said...

Well done little blue bonnet!

Diana said...

Pam -- I hope it is a harbinger of things to come this spring, in spite of the dry fall.

Gail -- The bluebonnet does remind us of the promise of spring, doesn't it?

Mac -- Yes, it's my little bluebonnet that could! I think I can, I think I can...

Marc O. said...

That is a great sight this early. I hope it bodes well for the whole season!

Diana said...

Marc O. I sure hope you're right. Especially with the frigid weather tonight!~