Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Spring garden project ...before, during and during...

It's time for spring garden projects -- time to implement the ideas that have been percolating over the winter, waiting for sunny days and a fresh, new start.

A section of my landscape has been sad for several seasons.  It wasn't quite what I wanted and most of the plants just wouldn't grow anymore.  Lantana wasn't growing, for heaven's sake.  What does that tell you?!



So,  this week, we (the royal we - meaning I had help!) dug up the strip of grass designed as a contrast, shoveled up the existing rock to make a more natural-looking dry creek, brought in a yard of soil and turned up what little existing soil was there -- some of which was caliche and some was actually road base, left by the construction workers when they built the house 12 years ago.  Seriously?  You just dumped it here?

I planted a row of bright edge yuccas and some mystic spires salvia along with a firecracker fern.  There are still some Mexican mint marigold there, along with some blackfoot daisies that are going to have to move, but I had to look at them with the other plants to make decisions about what to do with them.

So, it's not done-done, but it's pretty close and I've got a good sense of what I'll do next. 

When it comes to spring projects, are you still plotting or planting?

13 comments:

Susan Tomlinson said...

It looks really good! I like the clean simplicity of it.

I've been having trouble getting even old standards like lantana established in this new, drier "us" ( as in the royal "us" ;-)).

Steph@RamblingWren said...

Looks fantastic! Love the bright edge yuccas. Wish I had more sun in my garden to plant some. I also like the contrast of the rocks (hardscaping). Great job!

Robin said...

Diana, I'm trying to figure out where this spot is? Is it next to the playground area? It looks great now!

Linda/patchwork said...

Looks good.
My problem with lantana here is spelled d.e.e.r! They eat it here. Along with a lot of things they're not supposed to like.
The yuccas look good. It feels good to spruce things up and make it sparkle, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

It turned out just lovely. Good job! Laura

Shirley said...

Looks good, those colorful yuccas can do wonders.

Pam/Digging said...

That looks so nice. I love those bright yuccas! But I think they may be 'Color Guard', not 'Bright Edge', which has yellow along the edge.

Laura said...

The bed looks really nice. I love the pop of yellow, especially against the gray/blue in the fence.

David Cristiani said...

The mix of cobble / river rock sizes is as nice as the simple yucca planting...very nice! (here - wishing I had time to get into my garden)

Diana said...

Susan - Thanks. It is an ever-changing challenge to garden these days.

Steph - I'm still looking for a before photo - it really needed some tweaking and I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Robin - It's at the back right corner of the driveway along Connie's fence.

Linda - Thanks - my deer usually leave the lantana alone, unless they are young ones. It feels great to work on the garden.

Thanks, Laura.

Shirley - I do like the brightness - there's actually a little shade over there so they will really provide a pop of light and color.

Pam - You're right - I knew that! I'll be adding some more mystic spires behind them. I started with two in the corner, but as I look at it I think I'd like more of those.

Thanks, David. Adding the boulders and other sizes really made all the difference. The guys smirk when I spend so much time placing the rocks just exactly so and burying them just right, but it's worth it!

kacky said...

It looks great!! I love the addition of the rocks- nice touch!!

Pamela Graham said...

Love the yuccas! It looks great! We are starting the plans for landscaping around our pool. So much to think about...the area is wide open to my little deer friends so really have to think long and hard about it. Happy Gardening, Pamie G. in the hill country!

Janet QueenofSeaford said...

We had the area along the driveway compacted by construction vehicles and full of construction debris and void of all soil. I understand the problem you had for sure!! I like the yuccas-- looks great! I used native grasses for the most part. Look forward to the 'after'.