Monday, January 7, 2013

Sweet dreams of seeds to come from gardening catalogs...

We're having our long winter's nap here in Central Texas.  I can't really call it cold here, but it is time for a break in the garden.

And that means...seed catalogs.

They've started arriving and I'm making a pile for a cold night, curled up in my chair with a cup of hot tea and a roaring fire.

Never mind that I already have a collection of seed packets large enough to start my own seed catalog, there are new varieties out there that are calling my name.  Seeds that are faster to germinate, bolt slower, have sweeter fruit, are more drought tolerant, produce more vegetables, flowers, you name it. 

If it's new, a gardener's gotta have it, right?

Right now, broccoli, cabbage, kale, strawberries, chard, lettuce, leeks, parsley, cilantro, and onions are taking up most of the veggie garden space.  But I've always got room for bulbs and cutting flowers (I think!).

Room or not, there are seeds in my future -- are there seeds in your future?

9 comments:

Pamela Graham said...

I've started my pile too to go along with these 30+ degree mornings and a cup of java! Happy Gardening from near Canyon Lake...gateway to Hill Country! Pamie G.

Diana said...

Hey Pamie - Happy New Year. It was 37 here this morning - we're in a warm pocket just on the edge of Austin. I'm surprised at home much I have left or only 1/2 frozen in the garden.

Layanee said...

There is no shortage of reading material this time of year is there. Yes, gotta have the new ones.

Diana said...

Layanee - You really need lots of catalogs because you have longer to read them than I do!

Lancashire rose said...

Wow you have a lot going on in your veggy garden. Puts mine to shame. Also I don't seem to get many catalogues any more. Could it be that I signed them all away when I put my name on the no more catalogues list! Bit I will be starting seeds soon and I have plenty collected seeds to be going on with.

Janet QueenofSeaford said...

I scattered a bunch of winter sown seeds last week. My days of veggie gardening are behind me for now. My backyard has limited sun and my front yard is REALLY sloped. A garden box may be the only way I put a veggie bed in, but none of the ready made ones will work on that slope. Time will tell.

Diana said...

Lancashire Rose - I, too have plenty of seeds to plant. I just have to figure out which ones came from 2012, 2011, 2010, 1978...!

Diana said...

Janet - Sounds like a veggie challenge. By winter I am sort of mentally done with gardening, but I generally end up putting a few things in anyway on a whim. The beds are about 1/4 still empty - never got to the rest of the things I'd thought about planting.

Jayne said...

Haha - I have a pile of catalogs too. I'm trying to have a little self-control, but I've already seen at least a few "must have" varieties to get my hands on.