Sunday, August 26, 2012

Late summer blooming perennials and annuals hang on in spite of the drought

We've had a slight break in the heat wave, and while some parts of Austin have enjoyed 2-3 inches of rain in the last weeks, we only got .12. But so many annuals and perennials in the garden are powering thouggh the heat and drought.
I love the contrast between this agave and the thryallis in the background.
I love this mandevilla, even though it's typically an annual.  Our mild, wet fall and winter last year kept it going so I've gotten two beautiful summers out of it.

The datura is a powerhouse - it reseeds like crazy and transplanting is so easy. 
Indigo spires salvia is one of my very favorites - I always have a place in my garden for its tall, wild-looking stalks with their vibrant blue blooms.

While some of my perennial vines were barely hanging on, this morning glory decided a few weeks ago that it was time to grow and it's been putting on more and more blooms every day.

Much of the garden is going to seed and slowing down, but these few, bright pops of color perk me right up when I'm walking around checking things out.

What's perking you up in your garden today?

12 comments:

Caroline said...

Flame acanthus! I meant to cut it way back a couple of weeks ago and I'm rather glad now I was too busy to get to it - it's flush with blooms. Datura is on my 'must plant' list for sure, and I love that agave/thryallis combo, too. I need to move my thryallis, I think it's getting too much shade to bloom.

Desert Dweller said...

Your missing nearby rain sounds like me. Except this is our wet season out here... I must say, your plants look very nice. Datura - that's a tough one, but your's is far more lush and happy than ones here this year. Is your's annual or perennial, like our species?

Garden Master said...

They are so lovely!What a beautiful blooms you got!

Amy Farrier said...

Wonderful plant combo in that first shot; you've got lots of my faves (thryallis & indigo spires). My datura's going crazy right now, too; love that scent when they first open...

Ruth said...

I didn't realize that the mandevilla was an annual. I have been coveting a couple to flank my front door.

Diana said...

Caroline - I don't have a flame acanthus - I might have to put one out back in the no-water garden!

Desert Dweller - I don't know who I pissed off to keep the rain away, but I'm really sorry for whatever it was! My datura comes back from millions of seeds each spring. And they are so easy to transplant.

Garden Master - Thanks - even though things might not look quite the same this year, there are still lots of things blooming

Amy - My thryallis is new this year and I'm thrilled with how it's performing.

Ruth -- The mandevilla is an annual here most of the time when we have a normal winter - whatever that is. Last year was so mild that it came back in the spring. Who knows what next season will hold!

sharon said...

what a great creative blog...glad to have found it

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

I am so digging your rain chain. It's lovely. There's just something about rain music especially in a climate which gets so little rain.~~Dee

Pergolas said...

Glad to know you have plants weathering the very dry spell. Your photos of them are lovely, they look in the peak of health despite the harsh heat.

Pam/Digging said...

Diana, your top two pictures are stunners! Love the rain chain, and what are you using as a trellis in that picture? Is it two pieces or one? Everything is looking good, girl!

Diana said...

Sharon - thanks for your kind words about my blog. Come visit often! Just put up another post 5 minutes ago - too hot to garden, time to post!

Dee - I like to think my rain chain might inspire some sprinkles!

Pergolas - the mandevilla does get some extra squirts of the hose when I am watering pots, but the rest are doing well with our water restriction schedule. But we go back to watering once a week on Tuesday.

Pam - The trellis was a creation of Mr. Bob P - who designed and built it for me. I drew my idea in the air when he was last here and he crafted it. I love him!

Nick Jones said...

These lovely fresh flowers are one of the best way to brighten up anyone's day. Great pictures and nice blog. Thanks for sharing