Saturday, June 30, 2012

Summer perennials blooming even in the heat and drought

While some of the early spring-through-fall bloomers are taking a break in all this heat, some of the mid-summer bloomers are putting on a show.

I love this thryallis in the front xeric bed.  It's a focal point and should have plenty of room to grow and shine.

One of my all-time go-to favorite plants, Mexican oregano.  It's tough as nails and tolerates the heat and the drought.
The the new-ish plants in the back shade bed are starting to fill in and making a lovely cool landscape.

After going after the new gold lantana with a machete (just kidding, but I DO own a machete!), I can now see the agave Americana var.  I know it won't be long before it's a giant.
The combination of my transplanted coneflowers next to the May night salvias makes a nice contrast.
After a little pruning and clean up of the dead spring flowers last week, the cutting garden has new bloomers.  The larkspur and bluebonnets are all gone and the Klondyke cosmos, blackberry lilies and Clematis are blooming.

Now it's time to prune all the other early bloomers so we have time for another flush of blooms.  Too hot to plant, but sadly, not too hot to prune and weed!  After 109 on Monday, today's high of 88 with cloud cover was great and I spent a long time deadheading and pruning the lamb's ears, narrow-leaf zinnias and the Santolina.  It was really delightful with a little breeze.

15 comments:

Ruth said...

Your garden looks lovely!

Diana said...

Thanks, Ruth. It would be so much happier with a little rain, though!

Amy Farrier said...

Beautiful colors. Thryallis looks striking with the blue gray agave in the background! And I think I may have to plant some Mexican oregano somewhere this fall...

Diana said...

Amy -- The Mexican oregano is a great choice - just remember it can get really big and shrubby - which makes it perfect for taking up space like a shrub but blooming forever like a perennial.

Linda/patchwork said...

You have that Thryallis in the deer infested area, right?
I've read it's 'deer resistant', which sometimes means nothing here.
I'd love to have one, out where it gets enough sun to really show off.

Your garden's looking great. I need to do what you've done, and prune some things.

Stay cool...pray for rain.

Desert Dweller said...

Now *thats* soft! And colorful, tough, etc. The Mexican Oregano is a definite favorite, in full bloom here, only getting water by me in March and in early June, plus our 4.4" of rain since Dec 1. The contrasts you have in forms and textures is quite nice, too! I like how your droughts look compared to our's...

Laura said...

Your beds look beautiful Diana. Thanks for the great picture of the Amnericana. You're right, it would look great next to my pool.

Layanee said...

Love these. Making notes....

Diana said...

Laura - they make such a nice focal point and they get big, so one would be great for that space, especially if you want to keep it pretty native and a little less maintenance. Some bright lantana around that and some skullcap would make a great bed. Let me know if you want any more info about the hardscape idea.

Layanee - They look great now, for sure. Check back in August!

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

Gorgeous. We grow many of those an annuals here. I wonder how many overwinter where you live? Love seeing the agave foliage in the background. Great architectural structure.~~Dee

Jayne said...

It's looking great Diana. You reminded me, I need to get after my New Gold -- it's taking over. A lot of my garden seems to be taking a break in the heat. Which is strange because it's things that were blooming last year, in our drought.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh to have temps in the 80's. I can feel the pain your family here in IN is having on the farm. It is horrid here. Remember your drought? It is just as bad here. Crazy weather. I just hope our garden survives. I could use some of your Xeric plants now. I have a few but I have to have some that will withstand our winters. A terrible combination. Not much to choose from. Have a happy 4th despite it all. I certainly intend to.

Diana said...

Dee -- They all overwinter here most years. Some even survived the 3 days below freezing at 17F. But we do lose quite a bit in those rare times.

Jayne - Yep, that lantana can be a monster. I have whacked mine back three times this year and it's driving me crazy! But then again, it's growing and blooming - can't really complain about that!

Lisa - It is a dilemma sometimes to have plants that tolerate both the heat and the cold. And in the last few years, heat is really relative. I mean, 109 hot isn't what they mean when they say heat tolerant!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Do you cook with your Mexican oregano? I finally found some at Costco, such a different flavor from Mediterranean oregano.

Diana said...

Janet - I don't cook with it, you can, but it's not a true oregano like the others. If you'd like, I could prune my monsters and send you about 10 lbs to dry!!