Sunday, June 3, 2012

Moy Grande hibiscus is summer showstopper...


Easily one of the best show-stoppers in my garden summer after summer is this hibiscus 'Moy grande.' With the largest flowers recorded on a giant-flowered mallow, these blooms can get as big a 1' across.  It gets its name from Dr. Moy of the San Antonio Botanical garden.  Many people think it's a muy grande (meaning VERY large, in Spanish, but it's Moy, named after Dr. Moy). 

On any given summer day, I can have between 10-12 blooms on it at a time.  Today marked the first bloom day for this year, with two pretty pink blossoms.  I've been peering into the buds every day now for about a week, wondering when one would finally appear and I was rewarded for my impatience today!  They will continue to bloom well into the fall. 

My plant is in deer "fair game" territory, but it's mature enough to be safe now.  The first few years after I planted it, it would get a nibble or two in early spring as it came back from the roots, but now it's so hardy that the deer are no longer interested in it.

It tolerates alkaline soil and is hardy to Zone 5.  It loves FULL Texas sun and gets 5 x 5, though mine is about 6' tall right now.  Fairly easy to grow from the seeds.

13 comments:

Ruth said...

That is beautiful. I love hibiscus, and have a wannabe hedge from pink and salmon ones. The flowers are a lot smaller than yours, though.

Mead farms nurseries said...

WOW! Really very beautiful flowers i love it..
Thank you for post..

Diana said...

Ruth - That's a great idea -- I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Mead farms -- They are amazing - especially when you see 10-12 of them at once!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Love it!!!

Caroline said...

Fantastic! I still have some seeds you passed along to me. I didn't have any luck on my first germination attempt, but these photos are encouraging me to try again.

Carla said...

WANT!! And chances are, I.will.have!! What a beauty:)

Linda/patchwork said...

Mr P and I dragged two of our grandkids down to the SA Botanical Gardens yesterday. I thought of your Moy Grande when I saw one there.
Good to know you have it in the deer infested area. Maybe I could grow one here. I might have to protect it for a while, though.
Looks great! And, in person, those blooms are amazingly huge.

Storage sheds said...

I also have these in my garden. I have the orange one. Indeed it is lovely.

Diana said...

Janet - It's looking a little droopy though, we're up to 95s with no rain for a month. Hope it can hang on with a little extra hand watering!

Caroline - Try, try again! And I will have more seeds, too.

Carla -- It makes me smile every morning. There are 8 new blooms on it today.

Linda - I really like the SA Gotanical Garden. Let me know if you want seeds!

LindaCTG said...

I, too, have the seeds you passed along to me. I need to get in gear to germinate them next year, because it's truly gorgeous!

Diana said...

Storage sheds - I have a tropical hiviscus that's orange, too. I love those bright colors.

Linda/CTG - Germinate them now and keep it inside in a pot this winter - might work! It take a while to get giant like mine.

Bob said...

That reminds me of my Mom. She had one as well. It grew next to a huge Plumbago. The bright pink and the blue of the plumbago would scald your eyes.

Diana said...

Bob - no scalding here - my Moy Grande sits in the company of pink skull cap and confetti lantana, so it's all in the family!