Saturday, June 2, 2012

Friends at the Fling - Garden Bloggers in Asheville 2012

My garden blogging friends who've never been to any of the five Garden Bloggers Flings often ask me, "what's it like?" That's a complicated answer because each Fling is so different -- geography, itinerary, participants, weather -- all play a factor. I love touring the gardens, both private and public, but it's the people that make the Flings so special.

Since helping with the first Fling held here in Austin 5 years ago, I've had the good fortune to attend all the subsequent Flings in Chicago, Buffalo, Seattle and now, Asheville. It's exciting to see so many of my garden blogging friends and to meet new ones each year.

So, this post is about the people at this year's Asheville, N.C. Fling. I simply can't name everyone in each of the photos, so I've not included names or blogs because I didn't want to leave anyone out. My memory just isn't what it used to be! As you read this post, though, please identify yourself and your blog in your comment back to me to jog my memory and let others find you.
Trekking up the hill to discover stone and garden goodies as Wamboldtopia.
Discussing the stonework at Wamboldtopia.
Listening to Christopher Mello explain about his special blue poppy.
At the cheerful entrance to the Sunny Point Gardens.
Perusing the rows and rows of beautiful veggies and herbs.
Everyone appreciated the drinks and snacks as we toured the gardens.
We all got time to visit over delicious bbq lunch at the gardens of Curve Studios.
Planking at the N.C. Arboretum!
Making a close inspection to verify a plant ID.
Enjoying snacks at the BB Barnes Nursery reception.
Our hosts at BB Barnes were so gracious and the nursery was a delight to wander through...so much cool stuff.
Shopping, eating, drinking and chatting -- BB Barnes had it all.
It was so hard to decide where to start in the fabulous Gentling garden.
Is this a familiar pose, or what?
Comparing notes in the Gentling garden.
Taking a little rest after exploring all around the grounds.
There was so much to see at the Biltmore gardens.
And the view of the mountains and the countryside was spectacular.  With that breeze, I could have stayed there all day.
Nothing like a little champagne to rehydrate on a warm day!
The Community College gardens were so peaceful and tranquil -- and so enjoyable with friends on a quiet Sunday morning.

12 comments:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Nice overview of all the spots and folks who were there. I didn't meet many folks....there were a lot of us!!
I am glad we had dinner together. Lots of fun.
Janet, The Queen of Seaford

Diana said...

It was kind of a zoo at times, wasn't it? Well, next year you'll know some folks and get to meet more again!

Rose said...

Great overview of all the Flingers, Diana! I've avoided putting up a couple of photos because I can't remember people's names:) This is a great way to resolve that dilemma. So many wonderful people; I wish I had had more time to chat with everyone!

tina said...

So many nice people at the fling it sure was hard getting to know everyone let alone tagging them all. Good luck!

Jean said...

Ah, I see you caught me stuffing my face at the nursery! :-) No matter, it is indeed the old and new friends I see at the flings that makes it for me. So great to see you again Diana.

Pam/Digging said...

Meeting new bloggers and renewing old friendships is a huge part of the Fling, and your post shows that so well. It was fun to be your traveling companion again this year!

Diana said...

Rose -- that was my fear, as well, so I decided to this to avoid hurting anyone's feelings. I can't remember where I put my phone most days, so this was a sure-fire disaster waiting to happen! It was great fun, though - and so fun to get to see you again. More visiting in San Francisco next year!

Tina - It was hard to meet everyone and remember names but I tried to come out of my shell a little more this year - that part's a little tough for me sometimes. But I didn't want to miss out so I just stuck my hand out a bunch!

Jean - Weren't their appetizers delish? It was so nice to have such great food and snacks/receptions along the way. Nothing better than good friends, good food and great gardens!

Pam - It was great to meet a lot of new people this year. I wish I had a yearbook with everyone's comments and signature in it!

Skeeter said...

I too am a bit shy until we start talking then I can be a chatty Kathy! LOL, I found it a bit difficult to really get to know people in such a short period of time but I did make a few bonds and hope to make more within Blogs to come....

Diana said...

Yes, Skeeter - there's a lot going on besides making friends at the fling! It's so nice to get to see folks year after year though, so I hope we'll see you in San Francisco and get to talk more!

Carol said...

What? No pictures of me? I know I didn't make it to every garden, but did enjoy walking through the Bulberina's garden with you and Pam. She had a spectacular view from her deck.

Diana said...

Carol - I do have a picture of you - I'll have to do a special post for you! I wasn't taking many pics on that little hidden deck; I was just enjoying the cool break and basking in the view.

Victoria Summerley said...

Love the pictures, Diana - great reportage! Look forward to seeing you in San Francisco