Tuesday, May 15, 2012

May showers also bring May flowers...

I know why Carol of May Dreams Gardens dreams of May.  We've had just that kind of May this year.  Full of sunshine AND rain - giving all our parched gardens a good long drink before the relentless summer takes its toll. Garden bloggers around the globe join Carol on the 15th of each month to share what's blooming in their gardens.  Come take a stroll with me and see what catches my eye in the garden today.
This beautiful ditch lily, a passalong from Lori, of Gardener of Good and Evil, who literally dug it up from a ditch in Wisconsin and brought it back to me in a bucket in the back seat of her car.  That's true gardening friendship!
Some short little zinnias that are filling in small spaces in my cottage-style front path bed.
Wine cups in full force in my rock path-thats-no-longer-a-path because of the wine cup!
I'm not wild about the pineapple guava tree itself - rather boring foliage.  But these little blooms are to die for.
I'm always in awe of lamb's ears blooms - they are so low and so understated and then their blooms shoot straight into the sky and make the boldest of statements.
One of my absolute favorite salvias, indigo spires, reaches out it's long, lanky plumes.
If you think I'm in love with the pineapple guava blooms - this one knocks my socks off.  It's a Mexican Bird of Paradise, and loves our heat and drought here.  Tough and wispy at the same time, one of my favorite combos.
And I couldn't leave out the esperanza, or yellow bells, that grow all over Central Texas.  They, too, are native to Mexico.
Daylilies I just can't get rid of!  I've dug them up twice and they keep coming back, so now they get to stay.  They don't fit in and clash in the bed they're in, but they bloom for such a short time that I just pretend it's part of the plan!
And finally, these gray santolina make the most beautiful button blooms - tiny little golden globes.

What's blooming in your garden today?

10 comments:

Cat said...

Your garden is looking lush and colorful! All is well here in ATX gardens with all this wonderful rain! What kind of yucca is that in the last photo? It's got great form.

Diana said...

Most of the garden is great. Except the black foot daisies. They are drowning and several of them are dying before my eyes. So sad. I'll need them in August! I'll try to remember about the yucca - I've had it a long time...

suzie/Viva Verde said...

I can't wait till my santolina looks like yours. those yellow buttons are the cutest!

Robin at Getting Grounded said...

I don't know how you do it...I have the same plants (well, not all of them) and mine are 1/10th the size of yours! That winecup! And the zinnias! And let me go on and on about that bird of Paradise. I'm pretty sure it's going on my "must have" list for next year....and pineapple guava...and and and ... Gorgeous bloom day, Diana, I must get over to see it when we dry out a bit.

Crafty Cristy said...

Stunning photos, as always. I love that salvia. I may have to plant some. I have been wanting salvia anyway, but hadn't decided on the type.

Diana said...

Robin - Thanks. You've gotta remember though that the wine cup has been there for years and it thrives in that decomposed granite. My bird of paradise is new from last year out in the not much water bed - of course the rain has been great out there!

suzie -- My santolina went in last spring so it's the first time it has bloomed and I'm loving it, too. And that the santolina keeps such a nice, small shape.

Diana said...

Cristy - I love salvias - there are more than 200 of them and I have about 10 of them. They love the heat and the deer don't eat them - so they're great for me!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

I love that Mexican Bird of Paradise! wow, stunning.
I just bought a Gray Santolina, think I was envisioning yours from a previous picture. :-)

Laura said...

Your garden is looking beautful! I've seen the pineapple guava flowers and didn't know what it was, thanks for the ID. If you ever want to take another shot at those day lillies, let me know, I'll come dig them out :)

Laura

Lancashire rose said...

You can't share enough photo of that front bed. It is lovely. Also, if you are looking for a home for some of those daylilies then I have a good home for them. Maybe in September. I think that is the time to move them. Have ag reat time at the Fling. Will be looking for your pots.