Saturday, February 18, 2012

Everbearing strawberries ready to eat...

Ahhhh.
The ever-bearing strawberries are bearing again. Kallie ate the first red, ripe, sweet, incredibly juicy strawberry from the garden this week. She pronounced it delicious.
I've eaten some of this broccoli, really I have. And I have another plant that hasn't bolted yet, so I will be eating that one, too. But I love letting some of them bloom because I think they are so pretty and delicate. Broccoli isn't something I think of as delicate. In fact, when Kallie was little we used to call them trees at the dinner table. But the blooms are so different.
So close...The bluebonnets are just swelling up with foliar pride with all this delightful rain. I can't wait to see them in all their blue splendor. They have self-seeded throughout the playscape pea gravel -- it's going to be a show.
I've seen many Texas mountain laurels blooming all over town, but mine are holding back just a little. Buds abound, though.

The Italian parsley is huge. I'm sure that the caterpillars are going to be very grateful when I have to turn it over to them. I'll have to get out there and sneak some for myself before they get here.

15 comments:

kacky said...

You have strawberries! Fun! I think I drowned mine.... they don't look like much but the rest did ok. I planted it off to the side but thinking I should have rethought that.....

Diana said...

I really didn't water mine at all over the winter - by hand maybe on two or three of the 75-80 degree days and that's all. They're tough - give them some time, maybe they'll surprise you!

Crafty Cristy said...

I am so happy you have gotten rain. I was wondering about that, just this morning.

Linda/patchwork said...

This rain has been great. But, it's slowing down some of the outside work.
I thought strawberries were warm weather fruits. Interesting you have some in February.

Diana said...

Cristy - we've had a wonderful rain. Right now we are at more than 2 inches since yesterday.

Linda/Patchwork - I seem to have strawberries almost year-round. But they are in a little protected pocket in my veggie garden so I think I get some extra harvest out of them.

Jeff Eller said...

They are so yummy!

Lancashire rose said...

Who will taste the first strawberry, I wonder? I bet they taste like real strawberries. My broc. bolted too. Those that hadn't gone too far we ate and one that was in full flower, when we came home, I brought into the house and put in a vase. David thought it was really funny. I notice today that all my Napa cabbage are starting to flower before they make heads. What a waste of time that was. I could saute some of the leaves but it won't be the same as those lovely tight heads. I will blame it on the warm winter.

getgrounded said...

That strawberry looks especially enticing; with the rain we are getting (thankfully) I hope you see many more.

Diana said...

Lancashire Rose -- Well, my sweet girl ate the sweet strawberry. But Fletcher keeps trying to sneak in the fence when I don't lock it behind me! He's bound a determined to check out what's in there.

Get Grounded - I hope there will be many more -- and I'll share a plant with you.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Good morning Diana, I used to grow Everbearing strawberries, spring strawberries, nothing better. Can't wait to see the Bluebonnets blooming. Nanci Griffith has a song about Bluebonnets, just love it.
Last year I planted a lot of parsley, thinking the caterpillars were going to eat much of it. Would you believe they didn't find it?

Ally said...

Homegrown strawberries are the best. I still remember eating my first one. I thought, ahhh, this is what a strawberry is supposed to taste like. Soooo good.

Roberta said...

There's nothing prettier than a pretty little strawberry in a bed of green! Especially nice on a warm day when the sun brings out the fragrance.

Diana said...

Janet - Strawberries are ripening every few days now. Not enough for a "serving" yet, but what a punch one good one packs!

Ally - You're so right - that is how they are supposed to taste.

Roberta - Yes, they are especially pretty in the sunshine of a warm spring day.

Garden Sheds said...

I love strawberries! Yummy. I wish I can grow strawberries in our garden.

leather wallets thnaks said...

This is my favorite subject. Thanks for taking the time to discuss that,
I really feel strongly about it and also love learning more on that topic.
If achievable, while you gain competence, would you mind updating your blog with
more information? It is really helpful for me.Thanks for share.