Friday, February 24, 2012

Daffodils and spring bulbs in bloom...


Almost all of my daffodils are up and putting on a spring show of blooms. Only one late-blooming variety is waiting to open. This one is a Double Campernelle, or Narcissus odorus plenus.
These are the 'Yellow Fortune' daffodils - I've lost quite a few of them in recent years - I suspect the drought has been hard on them.



I cannot locate the label for these pretties right now - they are packed away in a massive garage clean-out before installation of cabinets next week (cabinets to hide away all my garden *stuff* that seemed to have taken over the garage). These are my first pale yellow daffodils and I must say I like them. They seem almost illuminated on a pretty day.

I think this is Jonquilla 'Simplex'.

These are the lovely and always prolific "Tete a tete" -- a shorter variety -- about 8 inches tall and very dense.

My new Muscari 'Dark Eyes' are all coming up and filling in nicely, making a pretty, purple textured carpet against the grey of the winter mulch.
Pretty in purple are the hyacinths of unknown variety, courtesy of HEB's indoor planter two years ago.
This Hellebore is Helleborus x hybridus `Gold Finch’ with beautiful contrast. I just had to have this one since we have so many goldfinches in the wooded garden bed where this is planted.
Another unlabeled Hellebore (also known as a Lenten Rose) -- I just love those wispy markings in the center. They are hard to see and photograph, though, because of their growth habit and how they demurely keep their blooms bowed down. It also means I have to lie on the ground and hold up the foliage to try to get a photo.
This is muscari golden fragrance. They are a delicate yellow and have a wonderful scent.

10 comments:

Steph@RamblingWren said...

Beautiful! Reminds me of everything I love about Spring:)

Lea said...

Beautiful blooms!
Have a great week-end!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie

Linda/patchwork said...

Beautiful. I need to remember to plant some of these for next year.

katina said...

Wonderful - I never have much luck with bulbs...

NellJean said...

Daffodils are blooming out of sync here. Some of the mid season bloomed early. Some of the earlies are just coming up.

Your Yellow Fortune looks a lot like my cyclamineus 'Jetfire' -- there are so many to keep up with and look alikes.

SomeLikeItHot said...

I'm jealous! Your bulbs are awesome, especially the purple. I see green at least, but no flowers yet.

Diana said...

Steph - They are the best part of spring, aren't they? Thanks for visiting.

Lea -- Thanks - I looked at your winter veggie experiment and it looks like you had a great haul.

Linda/Patchwork - The deer completely ignore mine, so they might be a good fit for you.

Katina - Try again - so fun when they show up to the party in the spring.

NellJean - It does look like Jetfire and I'm not positive its Fortune, but I know I've never bought Jetfire. I've got to keep better records. I say that every year!

Some like it Hot - When those bulbs all come up early, I get so antsy to get out in the garden!

Caroline said...

Gorgeous! My Erlicheers came up on schedule and are blooming away. Not a single bloom on any of my other bulbs, though -- no freesia, alliums, crocus, iris, tulips, lilies or hellebores. Not even a summer snowflake! I guess it's the year of the daffodil...

Ally said...

I appreciate your efforts of lying on the ground to get the perfect picture. I've done that a time or two myself. I'm always amazed at the new things I see from that perpective.

Roberta said...

Your daffodils are so pretty! They're little punctuated spots of joy all around. We are just lucky to have the spiderwort. It's the only standout color in the yard right now.