Monday, May 16, 2011

Cannas and Coneflowers...

Time flies when it's gardening season. It's already time for Garden Bloggers Bloom day, hosted each month on the 15th by Carol of May Dreams Gardens.

Many plants are coming into their own in the garden right now. Foliage is filling out and becoming lush and new blooms are popping out to surprise me every day.

Unless of course the deer eat them! In my new garden bed, the deer have tromped around, but only ate the potato vines. I deliberately planted the bed with plants that deer typically shun. Except, apparently for Klondyke Cosmos. I was so pleased with my idea - planting this tangerine orange wispy flower grown from seed next to a vibrant purple salvia and some Mexican Feather Grass. I went out this morning to capture a photo of this little vignette, only to find...no vignette. The two blooms that popped up yesterday had been eaten off. So, you will just have to imagine what I imagined when I planted it all.

The Purple Cone Flowers above are some of my very favorite summer bloomers, and this year I have dozens and dozens of volunteers coming up so I will be transplanting lots of them into other beds.

But, I didn't let the deer spoil my day. Many other blooms in the garden were happy to pose for pictures today.

These photos are of my King Humbert Orange Cannas. I love the hot yellow and tangerine against the lime green leaves.


This is a Mexican Bird of Paradise Tree -- perfect for our hot,dry weather. Mine gets next to no water (especially in this drought) and yet it still blooms like crazy all summer long.
These Blackfoot Daisies are tough as nails -- even though they look so delicate.
Coral Trumpet Vine is taking over my fence and sprouting up in 3 different nearby beds. But it's stunning all over the fence - if it would just mind its manners!
Verbena thrives in these warm, sunny days, and it's making a beautiful purple velvet carpet in my new bed.
Some of the combinations I planned for the new front bed are starting to fill in and look like I intended them to. These yellow Zexmenia are bright and cheerful next to the hot pink Salvia Greggii.
These Shasta Daisies are bursting with blooms in the cutting garden. But I love seeing them there so much that I don't want to cut them!

14 comments:

getgrounded said...

OH, so pretty! I Love that canna. Perhaps we need a Canna swap this fall? I'll trade my pink Tropical Sunrise for one of those. And I can see that vignette in my head and it's gorgeous. I hope the Coneflower seeds that you generously passed along to me will sprout and look like yours. Perhaps with the rain we just got, they'll get started. Gorgeous stuff!

Annie in Austin said...

Wow, Diana your SW garden seems to be in another zone from mine! Shastas & cosmos are flowering here, but your Cannas, Coneflowers and verbena are in bloom already? It does look tropical ;-)
Happy GBBD!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Diana said...

GetGrounded - Oh, you missed Pam's didn't you? I took a bunch of those cannas and my burgundy leaved orange ones and had to be pushy to get people to take them! Next year we'll try again. Hope your Cone Flower seeds start popping up soon. How's that amazing sun bed doing?

Annie- The verbena's been going for quite a while, but the cannas just started blooming last week. The Cone Flowers are just starting and have seeded so much they are going to be thick as thieves. I have 1 pinkish-salmon gladiola in bloom, too. But it was a lousy photo - may have to try that again for another post. No other cosmos here yet - I planted seeds that are safe from the deer, but haven't seen them yet.

Nell Jean said...

Lots of grand things at your place mid-May. Echinacea is attracting butterflies here. I don't think you can have too many coneflowers.

Caroline said...

THOSE are the cannas you brought to the swap? COOL! I'm glad I got some! No coneflowers here yet and my blackfoot daisies look spent. Need more rain!

Diana said...

Nell Jean - I think we're short on butterflies this year. Just haven't seen as many. I do agree with you about the Echinacea - I just love them.

Caroline - I brought two different kinds - this one and then anorange one with burgundy and green striped leaves. They are both pretty cool - had to be cuz I don't normally like Cannas and I bought both of these!

Patchwork said...

You have a lot more blooming, not far from here.
The deer are so sweet, aren't they. Making sure we stay humble.
One of these days, I think I might crash one of your swaps.
Love the cannas.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Love that Mexican Bird of Paradise tree bloom. How interesting and great to be drought tolerant. My cannas aren't blooming yet, but have buds on the coneflowers.

Patricia Tryon said...

What an outstanding array of plants. I am completely smitten by the cannas.

scottweberpdx said...

I adore the Coneflowers, and keep hoping to see a few seedlings popping up here too, but so far, no luck.

Diana said...

Patchwork -We'd love to have you come to a gathering. We're going to be at my house this summer - Aug 27th. Email me at dianackirby at GMAIL dot com some time in early August and I should have some details. It would be great to meet you, have you visit the garden, meet the Austin bloggers and participate.

Janet - You're not far behind us. I'm so excited to have blooms around the garden finally.

Patricia Tyron - Thanks - I like thata hot tropical look around the pool and the cannas are perfect.

scottweber - I hope your seeds come up. Those cone flowers are just too darn perky. But I have to keep them out back because the deer think they are fabulous, too!

Pam/Digging said...

Those pesky deer are even eating my softleaf yucca leaves -- leaves! -- out front. Must be the drought.

Your canna flowers sure are pretty.

Pam/Digging said...

Just read Annie's comment about the coneflowers. Interesting that hers are still not in bloom just a couple miles north of me. Mine are in a full riot of blooming.

Jayne said...

Wonderful blooms. My cannas aren't anywhere near blooming yet.