Friday, March 25, 2011

Searching for garden delights...

This is a breath-taking spring display.

I love the combination of lavender and coral. This Crossvine is intertwined with the Wisteria as they meet by the corner of the fence.

Sadly, I don't get to see this view.

I was admiring the Crossvine this week, and bemoaning the fact that the freeze had taken my Wisteria. But wait, isn't that one solitary Wisteria bud I see?

Hmmmm--I see a blur of lavender through the crack in the wooden fence. Hmmmm...something is fishy here.

I trek out of the back yard and into the wild area outside of out fence (which no one can see, by the way).

What did I find? This. This amazing display of color and texture and wild beauty growing with abandon outside of my watchful eyes!
Short view as I got closer.
And what I see from the front corner of the fence if I walk off the property.
This is my view from the house and inside the back fence. It's quite lovely, the Crossvine all by itself. And most of it is high -- at least 20 feet into the nearby oak tree -- which means I don't really readily see it unless I crane my neck up.
I'm glad that at least the Crossvine has decided to stick around and bloom for me.
Even if this is all I can see of the elusive Wisteria!

7 comments:

Caroline said...

Just beautiful. I would love to rip out all our invasive ivy (from neighbors on the next street and two houses west!) and replace it with wisteria and crossvine. Maybe in another gardening life...

getgrounded said...

Diana, that's a gorgeous, unexpected combo. I have to laugh, though, because of this same issue with my vines, I've seriously considered asking my back neighbors if I can plant a vine along their back fence. That way I'll get the display when it drops over! Oh, these plants, you just can't train them....

Gail said...

A nice treat and what a surprise combination...I wish the crossvine was happy staying on my fence~I miss out on the bloom most years as it travels up into the tops of the trees. gail

Carol said...

Wow! What a great combination. I never would have thought to combine those two plants, but I will definitely have to find a place to try it. That looks like native wisteria - yes? & what variety of cross vine is that?

Janet said...

I love Crossvine. There are some in our woods....they are not even close to blooming yet. The wild (invasive) Wisteria is all over the place and blooms are open now.

Pam/Digging said...

Well, at least the deer and coyotes can enjoy the view! Too funny. The best-laid plans of mice and men...

Diana said...

Caroline-ripping out is always a daunting job. I do love the Wisteria - love seeing it downtown along the lake on that gazebo where it's huge!

Getgrounded-We are not in charge! That's my motto, remember. That back bed is coral and lavender in early spring - I also have my Spiderwort in there. It's a great color combo.

Gail - well, you saw it climbing up my tree! Think it does that at Pam's too. They are both trying to escape me.

Carol-It's Tangerine Beauty Crossvine, and the Wisteria is not the native -- I suspect that it is the Chinese Wisteria - because the blooms aren't as long as the Japanese and the individual blooms are quite large, both characteristics of the Chinese Wisteria.