Sunday, March 13, 2011

New bed well on its way...

On Friday, many of the plants for the new bed went into their new homes.

I wasn't able to get several of the things on my list, but I did get most of them, so this is a good start.

And I was able to transplant all of the plants from the preious bed -- either to more appropriate spaces to fit the design of the new bed, or into other beds where I had holes.

I'm also very excited that I was able to harvest from my own little volunteer 'incubator' of Lamb's ears. They threw off seed from their blooms and new babies started growing in the playscape gravel next to the cutting garden. More than 20 of them were pulled from the gravel and put into the new bed. If you get out your magnifying glass, you can see them on the lowest level of the bed next to the Blackfoot daisies. The are the silver dots in this photo! What you can't see just below the Lamb's ears are several mounding Pink Texas Skullcaps, Skutellaria suffrutescens.

Visible only in this photo in the very back is my transplanted Butterfly Bush, Buddleja, which may or may not be 'Black Knight.' It is a deep royal purple and very vibrant. (In the process of researching the botanical name for my variety, I learned that is isn't spelled Buddleia, which is how I've always spelled it, but Buddleja. Saw it first on Wikipedia and didn't trust them as a horticultural resource, but then I confirmed it with Dave's Garden, which I do trust! Thought that was interesting trivia.) Around the base of it, I transplanted several Lantana montevidensis, 'Trailing Purple.'

The pinkish grass is Fireworks Purple Foutain Grass - Pennisetum rubrum 'Fireworks.' Next to it, Silver Ponyfoot, Dichondra argentea.

Up here is Artemesia powis castle which I hope will spill over the wall to mix with Blue Velvet Trailing Verbena, Verbena hybrida.
Obstructing your new here is a stick-like native persimmon. I was going to take it out, but I may prune it a bit and look at it for a while to see if it will fit in and can stay. Look closely behind it and you will see a Salvia Greggii 'Hot pink.' Next to it are three Daimianita daisies, Chrysactinia mexicana. You can see them better below. Then on the lower level, almost out of sight, are 5 gray Santolinas, Santolina chamaecyarissus.

On the upper level there are three Euryops chrysanthemoides with some Sweet Potato vines Ipomoea batatas to surround it and trail down the wall around the Salvia Mesa 'purple' and the Mexican Feather grasses Nasella tenuissima. Blackfoot daisies and Lamb's ears in foreground. To the left of the Euryops will be a large blue Agave, a small boulder and some ground cover of Purple Wine Cups.

So, that's it so far. I'm quite happy with this very xeric bed. Still searching for Mexican Oregano, LARGE Blue Agave, Color guard yucca, and a Queen Victoria agave or something similar with the upright form and strings! And another ground cover.

20 comments:

RBell said...

Looking very nice; really like the stonework and bed arrangement.

Layanee said...

Diana, what a nice job. Love the layers of the stone and this garden will fill in nicely and greet you every time you come home.

LindaCTG said...

Oh, that looks like glory on the way! Neat stone work. You are just so creative!

Kathy said...

Isn't it fun to plant a whole new bed? Can hardly wait to see it a year from now!

Diana said...

RBell - Thanks. I'm excited about the stone - have never had it in my own yard before.

Layanee -- My land is all flat, so I and thrilled to have a little height and the rock texture. I can just build good bones.

LindaCTG -- I just had this vision in my head - so glad it came out ok on the ground.

Kathy -- It is so fun. I can't wait to see it a year from now either.

Cyndy said...

Wow Diana, That's an impressive structure for your new garden - how exciting to be able to fill it up with new plants, esp a lovely yucca - wish I could grow them!

Anonymous said...

Look to Yucca Do for agaves.

Jan@Thanks for today. said...

I love your new raised beds...wonderfully planned & executed!! :-) Great selection of plants and it is going to be an eye-catcher for sure! I love my Salvia greggi, which I planted last summer. Already it looks like the top of it, poking up out of the ground, is greened up and going to make it here in VA again this yr! And thanks for your sweet comments on my FB photos;-)

Tina Poe said...

Those curvy beds are beautiful! Can't wait to watch the progress of the plants filling in.

Pam/Digging said...

Looking really pretty, Diana! If you find those 'Color Guard' yuccas, please let me know. I've been hunting too.

ConsciousGardener said...

Very nice, love the curvilinear lines and the pink grass with the pony's foot!

Diana said...

Cyndy - All my landscaping is so flat - I just wanted to add some depth and texture. I love the yuccas too. You could grow one in a pot and bring it in for the winter!

Jan- Great to know that Salvia will come back in VA - how cool. Sometimes it's just amazing the plants that will grow in such different conditions, isn't it?

Tina - Thanks. I was hoping those curves would soften that long driveway and the long triangle of the yard.

Pam - I've seen bright edge in several places, but no color guard. I have one, but it's smaller than I want but I may end up digging it up and moving it if I get too impatient!

Conscious Gardener - Don't you love that pink grass. It says to treat it as an annual here, but I don't care - I think it's realy cool and different and it doesn't get too big. Somehow it just seems to me like it will be more manageable!

Gail said...

Diana, It looks fantastic! It's a perfect stone for your garden and the soil looks rich! gail

Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings said...

Diana, it's so beautiful. I love the stacked stone beds. I think you'll really like Fireworks grass there. I grew it last year and had to buy more. It isn't hardy here, but that's okay by me. It's wonderful anyway.~~Dee

Diana said...

Gail - Thanks. I think the plants will give it a lovely soft feel, even though they are tough as nails!

Dee - I can't wait to see that Firecracker in action. I thought the same thing about it being an annual - just means I will get to buy it again!

mrbrownthumb said...

Really cool. Love the color of the stone. You could fit my garden a couple of time over in your bed.

:0)

Alison said...

Love your new bed with the curvy stone edges, it's both hard and soft at the same time, which is cool! It will look so good when the plants fill in. That's so hard to wait for, though.

Diana said...

Mr Brown Thumb- Thanks. It is pretty darn big. But I love the charming and cozy smaller gardens we saw in Chicago and Buffalo. I did this to break up all the big flat lawn that I don't like.

Alison - Thanks. Curvy and soft are exactly what I want to blend with the stone hardscape. I have several plants in it that will trail down from the upper levels.

Lancashire rose said...

Wonderful job, Diana, and in just a few weeks it will be all filled in. We know Texas, don't we!

Eden's Container said...

Looks like a great start! The mulch add nice contrast to rock border.