Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Plants were not the only ones who felt the freeze...

Here is another casualty of last week's prolonged and bitterly cold weather.

This beautiful Mexican Talavera bird bath couldn't handle the thaw with two inches of ice sitting in it. (At least it wasn't the pipes in my house, I am thankful for that.)

Last year, I brought it in the garage to protect it from the hard freeze.

Sadly, I just didn't think to do it this year.

I was contemplating super glue...but that won't work.

I bought this a few years ago at our local HEB grocery store. They sometimes get special orders of pottery or garden furniture in the summer time and I grabbed this up the second I saw it.

Maybe I'll run across another one somewhere -- I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

11 comments:

getgrounded said...

Darn it! But there are ceramic glues that might help it look better while you search for a replacement. It's such a pretty piece. oh well, what're you gonna do?

Commonweeder said...

It is always so irritating when we don't do something we know perfectly well we should. It is a pretty piece and there must be some kind of good glue. Keep looking.

Pam/Digging said...

Bummer! Well, save the broken pieces. You might find a use for them -- pot jewelry or a mosaic?

Diana said...

getgrounded - Well, maybe I will keep the pieces and save that for a rainy day project. Or tomorrow's freeze!

Commonweeder - It is irritating! And I have no idea why I didn't realize I needed to bring it in. Duh!

Pam - Good idea. I may try to glue it after all, but if that fails, I could make some mosaic thing-y out of it! Maybe hammering the pieces would be cathartic!

scottweberpdx said...

Oh no, your poor birdbath :-( When I lived in Nebraska, we lost SOOOO much pottery and the like to freezes, it's so easy to forget those things when you are worrying about the plants too!

Carol said...

You an always glue it back together and use it as a planter. I can see it some trailing vines in it.

Diana said...

scottweberpdx - And it gets really cold in Nebraska - bet you had to winterize a lot!

Carol -- And another good idea - set down in a bed somewhere. And maybe put something different on the pedestal. Still not the same though...so dumb. Won't do that again...I hope!

Carol said...

Well, frass! That darn freezing weather.

Janet said...

Oh Diana, I am so sorry to see your birdbath broken...it was so pretty.

Diana said...

Carol -- Yes, frass, indeed! LOL

Janet -- Thanks. And winter's not over yet. Dropping to 20s today, gusting winds, freezing rain. Brrr...

Judy said...

How about glueing it, then using a liner?