Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The frost and the frantic freeze frenzy...


You know you do it...

Maybe you don't talk about it, hiding it like a bad plant in the back of your garden.

When the cold winds blow and the forecasts foretell of frigid temperatures, do you do the...

...frantic freeze frenzy?

Sssshhh...I won't tell any one, honest.

But I'm sure I've seen you -- lurking about at night, all covered up in dark clothing, sheets, blankets, Christmas lights and rocks in hand. Furtively darting about in a futile attempt to keep wind, rain and ice off of your precious plants.

Fingers numb and stiff, ears red and raw, you've braved the elements.

You truly believe that man (or woman) can win out over nature. Surely your clever plan to secure your contraption will hold and save the day (or night).

Is this you? Do you see yourself in this post? Isn't it time to step out into the light and admit it?

You do the frantic freeze frenzy to protect your precious plants in the winter. Don't you?

9 comments:

Cyndy said...

Hi Diana, Up here in CT we do something similar in May or so, when we've put out all the tender plants and the warning comes for yet another freeze!

getgrounded said...

Diana, that would have been me last year and before. This year? They're on their own. Wow, I can't believe Cyndy (comment above) gets freezes in May!

mss @ Zanthan Gardens said...

Yep. I was up at 5AM as the temperature started to fall to put the lights and cover on my Meyer's lemon. Most everything else already failed last week though.

One 'Ice Follies' daffodil was about to open today, too.

Cindy, MCOK said...

I am fed up with winter and the attendant frenzy! My back has been giving me fits so DH came home at lunch to help me cover plants. I feel sure we missed a few! Spring's not going to be a happy sight on my corner of Katy this year.

RBell said...

Darn tootin! Though I do try to cover while there's still some warmth out there. Though no amount of covering could get 'em through them three straight below-freezing days. Hmmm, wonder how an electric blanket would do...

LindaCTG said...

I'm in between! I do cover my Satsuma orange, the lettuce and the cilantro. The others are pretty much on their own. Hard lessons but drought/freeze babying is no longer on my to do list!

Diana said...

Cyndy -- Oh we do that in spring, too, just earlier than you. I always jump the gun!

Getgrounded -- I'm with you on the they're on their own. I'd rather buy a few new than fight that battle over and over!

MSS - One or two things is a different story. Though my bluebonnets did die last week. I'm so sad because this was my first year for them to thrive.

Cindy -- I am fed up, too. Most things probably won't be dead, but won't grow much either this season.

RBell -- You're right. There's no radiant heat at 19! I beat my head against the wall enough when I garden in the good weather!

Linda/CTG -- Just a few things isn't really much babying. I think we are worn out from gardening for 10 months out of the year and we don't have the energy to baby in the winter!

Gail said...

We'll be doing this dance come March when the flowers bloom and frosts revisit us! I am so sorry you've had the winter from~the arctic!

Diana said...

Gail - Thanks for your empathy. Sure wish we could commiserate together over some hot chocolate!