Friday, December 31, 2010

On a winter's day...


Most of my perennials caved under last week's freeze. Some are only 1/2 dead, but most are pretty pathetic. I don't want to prune them now, though. Pruning now will encourage growth on warm days like today, and we don't want that. With more freezes to come, the plants would be stressed by going in and out of dormancy.

So, there isn't much to do in the garden.

Maybe stare at some of the bulb greenery that's coming up. Maybe water a few evergreen plants. Maybe pull out the dead veggies that weren't winter-hardy. Nah - that sounds too much like work.

Maybe I will just take the stack of seed and plant catalogs that arrived the day after Christmas and dream a little.

I could dog-ear some pages, make a few lists, maybe even place an order for some seeds to start in the greenhouse.

Yes, I think that's exactly the kind of gardening I will do today.

Are you gardening today, or are you dreaming of gardening?

12 comments:

Commonweeder said...

I'm ready to start my dreaming and listmaking. My husband and I paced out a windbreak this morning and we are searching catalogs for the trees we want. Vegetables come next.

Jim/ArtofGardening said...

Dreaming? Not yet. There are some summer projects racing through my mind keeping me awake at night though. Does that count?

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Sounds like a great plan. Happy New Year.

Pam/Digging said...

Not much to do in the garden, Diana? Now's the time to implement all those hardscaping projects we put on hold through the summer. Or at least so I keep telling myself. ;-) Happy New Year!

Gail said...

Diana, The ground is frozen so I am dreaming of gardening~Although, I stood on the porch and looked around and hoped for blooms~and soon! gail PS Happy New Year!

scottweberpdx said...

Right on! I secretly love the winter months just because it's the one time I can read gardening books and fantasize over catalogs without feeling guilty!

Diana said...

Commonweeder - That sounds like a big project - I'm looking for boulders! And veggies are on my list, too.

Jim - Nightmares not quite the same!

Debbi- Happy New Year to you, too. I hope there's some gardening in it really soon.

Pam - Yes, I'm thinking about boulders, frankly. With many plants dormant, I can "see" it all much better.

Layanee said...

Armchair gardening...need to start with lists though. The catalogs are coming in droves.

Lancashire rose said...

Happy New Year Diana. Aren't we all in that dreaming state! I have been out working a few times, mostly tidying up the plants that lasted much longer than normal then moving a few around.

Diana said...

Scott - I can't wait to sit with those catalogs one night soon and place some orders!

Layanee - Yes, I have many new catalogs I've never received before. Will probably just stick to the tried and true for the most part.

Lancashire Rose - I have a BLUEONNET in bloom! And some winecups! Crazy. But everything is all put away for real winter next week.

Pamie G. said...

Hi there! I am dreaming too! Hey, did you ever get my email about wanting to know more about your greenhouse. I have written you twice. Perhaps I have the wrong address? Thanks, Pamie G.

Jean said...

I'm dreaming of some down time so I can plan the raised beds. I just never seem to get around to it and then boom! The raised beds become another mish-mash of veggies, herbs and flowers!