Monday, September 6, 2010

Veggies in...

Okay, so it's a few days after September 1st, the official first day for planting certain fall veggie garden seeds here in Central Texas.

But we were busy with a full Labor Day Weekend until today. Today -- gardening day!

We're forecast to have several days of rain, so it was now or never (well, maybe not never) today. Perfect timing for planting little seeds so they can get some nice fresh rainwater.

Then I hear from my husband that we're expected to get up to 12 inches of rain over the next 3 days. Yikes -- my little seeds may wash away. But I'm going to think positive.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that we don't end up flooding.




I planted Calabrese broccoli - transplants and seeds, Provider snap bush beans, Sunshine Mix carrots, leaf lettuce - red and green, Brussels sprouts, Red Acre cabbage, California Bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, and finally, flat leaf parsley to replace the giant tree of parsley that served as a host for a gazillion swallowtail caterpillars this spring and summer. I already have summer squash (and yes, you plant it in the fall!), basil, and tomatoes planted.
In two weeks, I'll plant some more carrot and Brussels sprouts seeds. In October, I'll put in some beets. And I've left a little room for other things that catch my fancy along the way!


Makes me hungry just writing this post. Do you have any going in your garden?

14 comments:

Pam/Digging said...

12 inches?!

Caroline said...

I'll believe this rain when I see it! I started broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and chard seeds today, yay me. I sowed squash, bush beans, bell pepper and cucumber last weekend. I need to get the lettuce and fall herbs started; maybe after these torrential rains, cough. Where did you find your Calabrese transplants?

Diana said...

Pam -- I know - that can't be right. Musta been worst case scenario with the tropical storm, but some in the area already have 4-5 inches they say - not us tho.

Caroline - Good for you. Doesn't it feel great?! The Calabrese were heirloom seeds - not sure what transplants were cuz NG took the label out of the plant & pots not labeled. I might just call and ask them to go out and look!

Ginny said...

I've started some lettuce and spinach in containers on the deck - maybe the bunnies won't eat them there!
Hope you get just the right amount of rain and not 12 inches!

Gail said...

How is the weather Diana? Btw, your raised beds are great looking~hoping that the seeds just settle in and start growing~gail

Diana said...

Ginny - I'd like to try some spinach too, but not the Malabar variety that tried to take over my house 2 years ago! Good luck with your veggies.

Gail - Getting 2-5 inches of rain from Hermine - hope my seeds don't wash away! Loving the cooler temp today, though - high of only 84 -- for 1 day, then back to 90s.

Bonnie said...

do you think they are drowning yet? I ran around outside tonight and saw some of my plants just keeled over in puddles. But then, they have been abused all last week by the siding guys stepping on them. But it is POURING out there.

Caroline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caroline said...

OK, I am starting to believe the 12 inches might not have been a fluke...!

Loving Nature's Garden said...

I planted lettuce and greens two weeks ago and a cover crop of red clover one week ago. Then we had a couple of nice days of Eastern Kansas rain. Everything is growing nicely :-)

Cindy, MCOK said...

I hear Austin DID get 12 inches of rain yesterday so I suspect your seeds did float away. Hope the next seed sowing venture isn't a rainout!

Lancashire rose said...

Boy! I ned to get moving. How time flies. I did clear out 2 beds but am only just getting round to thinking of what to plant. I wasn't even thinking that I could plant squash and cucumbers again. Must get on down to the nursery this afternoon and see what they have. I shopped last week with my dirty dozen list of veg. and am thinking that I really need to grow more. Organic at the store is too expensive. Thanks for the reminder.

Diana said...

Jenny - If you look in the garden section of next Saturday's paper, I will have an article in it on the fall veggie garden here in Central Texas! Might give you some more planting ideas!

Diana said...

Bonnie - How much rain did you get? Most of my plants are ok, might be yellow soon from being waterlogged, but all in all, not too bad. The seeds - they may be another story!

Loving Nature's Garden - Sounds like your garden is doing great. Isn't it fun to start over with a fall garden?

Cindy - I only got about 5 inches, so I'm crossing my fingers that something will come up somewhere!