Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Still going strong for Bloom Day...

It's been a strange year in the garden.

We had a cold, rainy winter, a wet spring and a late summer.

My garden was at least 3 weeks behind for the better part of spring and summer.

As we head into fall, things are still not quite right.

Some of our native sun-loving plants just aren't performing the same this year.

And some of my plants are showing the stress of several hard rains in the last few weeks - a real anomaly for September here.

Their feet were very wet and they don't like it.

This Double Purple Datura has fought off caterpillars or grasshoppers all summer.

I've had few blooms and holey leaves, but when it does bloom - it blows me away. It's like a beautiful ballgown.

This isn't technically a bloom, but a Magnolia bud - but I wanted to share it with you because it's just so wonderful. Doesn't it make you want to just reach out and touch it.
Second set of blooms down low on this Echinacea -- the tops have already gone to seed which I am leaving for the birds. It got a slow start too this spring. The deer ate the first TWO sets of blooms before I got to see them.
But the second set is barely holding onto it's petals.
This is a happy Blackfoot Daisy. Hermine killed two others that were this wonderful until last week. They REALLY don't like the rain.
The Moy Grande Hibiscus is stunning again this summer - some days sporting 8-10 plate-sized blooms. It has a few yellow leaves, but it liked the rain and is blooming profusely to say thank-you.
The rain also prompted a second set of blooms on the Bottlebrush tree.
And it's the season for the out-of-control, totally invasive, I-swear-I-will-never-plant-again Cypress Vine. Of course I will never need to plant it again because it comes up all over my garden every year -- especially where I don't want it!
And the amazing ditch lily brought to me by Lori, of the Gardener of Good and Evil, is STILL blooming. Seriously. I love this plant.
The morning glories that were invisible for most of the summer have started to pop out all over the place. There's just something about them that just makes me smile.

Special thanks to Carol of May Dreams Gardens for inviting us all to share what's blooming in our gardens on the 15th of every month. It's like we're all chatting together over the garden fence!

Happy Bloom Day!

10 comments:

Helen said...

Diana, I'm so lucky to have just come back from Texas (my first visit) so that I can begin to recognize some of the amazing flowers you Southern gardeners can grow. The morning glories are the "cypress vine" of my garden... persistent, pervasive and, well, pretty. Happy Blooms Day, and congrats for squeaking in under the wire.

Lancashire rose said...

You won't even need to plant the cypress vine again, I can promise you. I put some seeds in 10 years ago and they still keep coming up They strangle plants to death, just like the morning glory.
What is the coneflower? Sorry about your daisies- they like it dry dry dry with just an occasional downpour. Moi grande is very grand.

Annie in Austin said...

Aren't the developing magnolia fruits cool, Diana? They're even more interesting after they turn red. The double datura is beautiful!

I had Cypress vine in containers at my old deck garden & it hitched a ride when we moved. It can be a pain, but it also brings the hummingbirds near my windows...guess I can live with that part!

Happy GBBD from

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

ConsciousGardener said...

Diana! Yes, it's been a year...next month. Will you please, please save me the seeds from the double purple frill? I lost two and gave all my seeds away at the tour last year and I miss it soooo much! It does look like a ball gown, I never thought about it like that before! Have a great GBBD:)

Pam/Digging said...

I can't help it, but I'm just going to have to plant that cypress vine one day. It's too pretty to resist, despite all the warnings!

Layanee said...

Love the magnolia fruit. Nature has impeccable symmetry doesn't she?

scottweberpdx said...

I totally agree about Morning Glories, you can't help but love their carefree beauty!

LindaCTG said...

Diana, you really hit the nail on the head. I don't think we could have had a more stressful year for our plants. But you've got beauties, anyway. That's so funny that cypress vine is invasive for you (though I love seeing it on your fence). Mine never thrived. Thanks for a reminder about the yellow echinacea. I will see if there's any chance I can grow it in clay. Love that! And amazing on that ditch lily. Gotta check that out too.

Gail said...

It has been a very strange year! I have no idea what to plant anymore~I just have my first cypress vine, something tells me (you and your commenters) that I will be sorry I invited the strangler into my garden! gail

Diana said...

Helen - I hope you had a warm and wonderful time here in Teas. Wish my morning glories could take lessons from yours. Mine have been positively puny this year.

Lancashire Rose -- I know - that Cypress vine is all OVER! It's coming up in the rock path now. Sheesh. I don't know the coneflower variety, sadly. But they were spectacular this year. The pindo palm I planted over them provided just the right conditions. I'm just leaving the seed heads for the birds now.

Annie - I do love the magnoila fruits and I took pictures of the red ones, too. The cypress vine is fabulous -- when it's where I want it!

Conscious Gardener - Happy to save you some seeds. Are you going to Amy's this weekend? There are pods on it now.

Pam - I knew the dangers of the cypress vine when I planted it, too, and did it anyway. Maybe stubbornness is a universal gardener's trait!

Layanee -- Yes, the symmetry in nature really is amazing. Patterns and hues and textures and contrasts and scents -- pretty amazing.

ScottWeberPDX -- Sometime you've just gotta plant them and then pick away at the wayward invasives.

Linda -- Weird about the Cypress vine. I love my yellow echinnacea - it's so vibrant and tall. I think it might like to be abused - this one sure has been! Two deer chompings and limited water and it keeps on going!

Gail - You're so right about the crazy weather. In last year's drought & 67 days over 100F, I planted agaves, grasses and cacti. This year they were sloshing around wearing their muk luks!