Thursday, September 2, 2010

In the line of fire...

I up with Pam of Digging to pass along some of my variegated ginger today, and our meeting place was, of course, a nursery! Barton Springs Nursery -- ooohhhh. She was disciplined (and in a hurry) but I was bad and went on a little shopping trip.

I WAS trying to finish projects I have at home before our Labor Day party this weekend, but I was weak and succumbed.

I brought home a lot of vegetable transplants and some compost to amend my soil as it's time for the fall garden here in Central Texas. Once home, I put them in my wagon and temporarily put them out in the sunny driveway.


It's a good thing I'm observant and looked around after doing that, because lo and behold -- 3 yearling does and a fawn were just down the garden path looking for some water and an afternoon snack!

I filled their water bowl while they watched from a distance. Look carefully beyond the edge of the wagon -- see her watching me?


Then I promptly wheeled the portable veggie buffet back into the garage for safe keeping until the deer were gone.

Whew. I would have been steaming if I'd come out to close up this evening and found my wagon devoured!

Lucky me...

8 comments:

Pam/Digging said...

Can you imagine?

One of the reasons I was disciplined today is that I bought some plants on sale at TGO recently and nearly let some of them expire for lack of watering. It's a terrible time of year to plant, and yet it's easy to let those little pots dry out. So I decided I'd better wait until it cools off a little since I'm a bad, bad waterer.

Thanks for all the ginger. I'll be sure to keep IT watered.

Cindy, MCOK said...

Wow, incredibly good timing on your part! Here's to your continuing to keep the veggies safe from the big and little deers!

Patchwork said...

Ah...the ever present deer. They never go away, here.

Glad you got your plants to safety in time.

Have a great weekend.

scottweberpdx said...

I've put a bit of a moratorium on plant purchases for the time being. I've realized I MUST plant the remaining plants still on my porch before I can get anything else!

Layanee said...

Do you spray for the deer? What a minute, you filled their water bowl? You are way too kind.

Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings said...

Oh, I know how that goes. Glad you got it inside. I didn't know you provide water for the dear deer. Are you crazy my friend?

Loving Nature's Garden said...

I love deer, but I don't love deer eating plants I just paid for. How lucky that you spotted them!

There are no deer in my garden, but there are rabbits and I need to get out the pepper and garlic rabbit repellent spray every now and then.

The Whimsical Gardener said...

Oh how I love a an hour or two at BSN! It's way too hard to be disciplined there. I love the little chickens in your veggie beds - very cute.