Thursday, August 26, 2010

Gardening that's not gardening...

It's been too darn hot to garden -- even for me. Temperatures hit 107 more than once in the last week and it's just oppressive.

And, between the heavy blanket of heat and the start of school, I haven't blogged either.

I'm feeling a little disconnected, and looking for ways to get back into some semblance of a routine. Know what I mean? It happens to all of us sometime -- things are just out of sorts.

Last night I went with a group of friends to "Painting with a Twist." It's a group painting class -- they offer a different painting each evening and an instructor guides you from start to finish. Like Bob on the old PBS series -- remember that? I know you watched it! We all did.

So last night we painted "Dancing Sunflowers" which isn't based on a famous painting, but rather a composite that they offer.

We brought food and wine. We laughed and we talked, and we painted!

No surprise that I voted that we go on a night with a garden theme - I did that when I painted pottery past year as well. Guess it's my "thing" when I'm being creative, even in other mediums.

I was pretty happy with my final painting, and it's now hanging on my wall. It's there to remind me of all the beautiful things in my garden, even when I'm not outside to enjoy them.

10 comments:

Heather's Garden said...

I'm not feeling my garden these days either, for entirely different reasons, but also haven't been blogging much. Love the whole painting evening idea and will take inspiration to try some new and creative!

lleller said...

I love it!

Diana said...

Heather - Sometimes you just need a change of scenery or some new challenge to energize you - hope you find the right fix.

LLEller-Thanks! It was so fun and really pretty easy. Such a rush when I figured out how to do certain brush strokes right and got the feel of it.

Bonnie said...

Gorgeous! You got talent- and all with a little vino! Wow.

Jan (VA Zone 7A) said...

Diana, it's beautiful! You've got talent there, girl! What kind of wine were you drinking? Maybe if I get some of that, my artistic talent will unfold, as well?!?!

Abbey said...

Ha! Bob on PBS... makes me smile. I remember that guy. I'd be flipping channels, come across him and get sucked in. Beautiful painting by the way. I'll have to go to one of the classes and give it a try.

Cindy, MCOK said...

Diana, your painting is great! We have a similar venue here, called Pinot's Palette. I've been twice and it's great fun.

LindaCTG said...

That is totally gorgeous! I wish I were that inspired in this heat. Without doubt, you are a creative artist in every single format.

Diana said...

Bonnie - Yep, amazing what a little vino with do for ya!

Jan - It really was so super easy with the instructor. All of them looked a little different, but it was so fun.

Abbey - I knew people would remember Bob just like I did. He made it look so simple, and with help, it wasn't too hard (for this one at least!).

Cindy - It is just fun to try a new challenge and jump start your creativity. I think gardening really helped me with the sunflowers, too!

Linda - It was so fun. It'd be fun to do with a garden bloggers group, too, with a gardening theme, of course!

getgrounded said...

Diana, that is a gorgeous painting! You are one talented lady, in many ways. Very cool.