Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cottage gardens enchant and enthrall...

What's my favorite style of garden?

I don't have to think about it -- beyond any shadow of a doubt, it's the quintessential cottage garden.

There's just something endearing about the layers and the textures and the colors and the magic marriage of a quaint cottage garden.

And the cottage gardens we toured last Friday morning in Buffalo didn't disappoint.

While each garden shared the cottage style -- they were all unique in their presentation and plants.

My favorite was one filled with bright, tropical plants and colors, mixed with more traditional cottage-style offerings.


I loved this Clematis meandering along the quaint white picket fence framing the front yard of this house.
These little individual succulent planters made from tree fungus lined a short fence leading into the back yard.
This beautiful seating area was surrounded by plants with rich, tropical colors and lots of vertical interest.
The front picket fence was chock-full of cottage goodness and offered a plant paradise for any birds who stopped by looking for a cool drink of water.
Because these cottage gardens were so intimate (read: small!), they were perfect backdrops for garden art on their walls and fences.
We enjoyed these gardens with a steady dose of rain, however, which stuck with us all day. Not to be deterred, we shielded our cameras and kept walking. The rain couldn't stop Gail, of Clay and Limestone, from smiling as she strolled along.
There was always the next garden, drawing us along, mesmerizing us with its wonderful setting and amazing (albeit, wet) plants.
The sun peeked out occasionally, and let me capture this moment between fellow bloggers Kathy of Cold Climate Gardening, and Dee, of Red Dirt Ramblings.
The days rain left tell-tale signs and a little garden art of its own on the plants.
Though my favorite was the tropical cottage garden, I was also totally charmed by this shabby-chic garden, with its ecclectic mix of flowers and art.
And even more vertical fun in small spaces.
As with most of the houses, no fence or post or eave is left unadorned.
If I had included more individual plant shots my post would have taken a week to do! But these just begged to be shared with you!
And then there were the cottages themselves...so quaint and historic and adorable.
It was just all too cute. My only regret was that I couldn't bring one of those lovely cottages back on the plane with me!

18 comments:

Cindy, MCOK said...

Wasn't it an amazing adventure? I'm so glad we got to do that! I really do intend to make a trip to Austin this fall and schedule some time to visit with the Austin garden bloggers. We shouldn't have to travel halfway across the country to get together!

fairegarden said...

Oh Diana, me too! Cottage style has always attracted me and the ones we saw were absolutely fabulous. I have some fencing with nothing on it, can you believe it!!! Must remedy that, pdq! What a sweet photo of Gail, with Christopher and Ani in the background. Dee and Kathy look cute too. It was so fun to hang out with you again! Love that clemmie on the fence. Another idea to try here. :-)
Frances

Diana said...

Cindy: It was an amazing adventure. And no, we shouldn't have to fly across the country to see each other. Then again, we can come to Houston, too!

Fairegarden: I think of your garden as being cottage style - full of lushness and layers. I have a piece of fence w nothing on it, too - way in the back - but that's changing soon as I get back from vacation, too!

Gail said...

It's my favorite style Diana~I love the exuberance of plantings! I keep thinking of ideas from the tour~more vertical, use the fences we have, but more than that I think of getting to spend time with good friends~old and new! Thanks for the linklove! xxgail

Diana said...

Gail - Cottage style is totally how I imagine your garden from the photos, which is why is seems so magical to me. I thought that photo of you was charming, too, with your umbrella and your sweet smile. Hope we get to see you in Austin sometime before Seattle.

Patchwork said...

It all looked like such a good time.

Thanks for sharing it, with those of us at home.

~~Linda...

Diana said...

Patchwork - It was fun, but we're so glad to share all the sights with all our other blogger friends. Glad you're enjoying it.

Pam/Digging said...

Cute picture of Kathy and Dee. That was such a sweet neighborhood, wasn't it?

Jayne said...

How delightful! I love cottage style too. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Layanee said...

A great adventure and I have to agree that the cottage gardens are just so darn inviting.

Diana said...

Pam - I'm glad some of my people pics turned out, in spite of the rain.

Jayne - It was so fun - we were oooohing and aaaaahing at every house - there were little treasures everywhere.

Layanee - I loved how we all just covered up and went off into the rain. Certainly wouldn't have missed those adorable gardens for a little water!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

The big thing I took home from the Cottage District was the idea of not wasting space. Clearly, I need more climbers.

Jean said...

I really liked that first garden as well. I'm actually kind of jealous of the smallness of the gardens. Although maybe it would be frustrating too. :-)

Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings said...

You captured the day perfectly Diana. I love that picture of Kathy and me. We look like we're absorbing the sunshine. Loved seeing you again sistah, blogger friend.~~Dee

Diana said...

MMD - You're right - they used every square inch - that's my lesson - plant more!

Jean - I do envy the intimate garden spaces. But I'm sure I'd want more space if that's what I had!

Dee - I loved that picture of you and Kathy, too. You looked so happy to be there, which was exactly how I felt the whole weekend. So fun to hang out with everyone again and bask in all that garden goodness!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Dianna,
I came here from a comment you left on Marmee's blog. It's amazing how many wonderful garden blogs there are! Yours is right up my alley. I am a cottage garden fan, too. My yard is small, and I don't exactly accomplish that, but I grow a lot of different kinds of flowers.

I enjoyed your Buffalo photos.

Diana said...

Corner Gardener Sue - Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind comments. It is fun to blog-hop, isn't it? Buffalo was so much fun and the plants were so fabulous.

jessaka said...

what a lovely blog. do you mind if i post one of your photos on my garden facebook and leave a link to your blog on it? thanks, jessaka