Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Buffalo gardens amaze & impress

As I traveled home from a delightful time in Buffalo for the garden bloggers' Buffa10 gathering, I tried to think of the best way to describe the gardens I'd seen.

It wasn't easy.

We had a whirlwind 4 days -- seeing sights, touring gardens, meeting and making friends and smelling the roses.

Our hosts, Elizabeth Licata of Gardening While Intoxicated and Jim Charlier of Art of Gardening took us on a fairytale tour of their beautiful city and its gardens. They were perfect ambassadors who opened our eyes to not only the gardens of the city, but the art and the architecture and the city's rich history.

A wide variety of gardens and gardeners welcomed us with open arms as we descended upon the city.

And while they ranged from jam-packed cottage gardens to simple, zen-like Asian gardens, they all had one thing in common.

They were lush.

Really lush.

There -- that was it, that was the word that captured all the gardens we had the good fortune to see. According to Thesaurus.com, there are many ways to describe something lush.

Main Entry: lush
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: profuse and delightful
Synonyms: abundant, ambrosial, delectable, delicious, deluxe, dense, elaborate, extensive, extravagant, exuberant, flourishing, fresh, grand, green, heavenly, juicy, lavish, luscious, luxuriant, luxurious, opulent, ornate, overgrown, palatial, plush, prodigal, prolific, rank, rich, riotous, ripe, ritzy, scrumptious, sensuous, succulent, sumptuous, teeming, tender, verdant,

Oddly enough, the weather when my travel companion Pam, of Digging, and I arrived, was actually hotter than in Austin, Texas! Back home - 86, Buffalo - 91!
On our first afternoon, we enjoyed a walking tour of the Allentown Gardens, including a stop for happy hour at Elizabeth's garden.
Then we were treated to a fabulous dinner and a tour of the 20th Century Club and its gardens. See that sun?!
Garden bloggers Leslie of Growing a Garden in Davis, Robin of Bumblebee Blog and Kathy of Cold Climate Gardening are probably discussing the uncharacteristically hot weather in Buffalo as we wait for dinner.
And now, more lushness.
The beauty was blurred, one stunning garden after another, as we stumbled along - not knowing which street we were on or whose garden it was, just struck by the amazing displays of annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs and garden art.
And then there was the amazing architecture, including some borrowed views of historic buildings like this one.
Each garden delivered a new perspective, a different plant list and a unique feel to our troupe of 70 visitors.

And I, for one, will carry these amazing memories with me for a long time. Buffalo is a beautiful, historic city, and one I would gladly visit again and again.

There is so much more to see -- stay tuned for more posts about our amazing adventure. This just covered the first 6 hours!

22 comments:

Carol said...

Lush is a great word to describe the gardens of Buffalo. Good to see you again and share this experience with you and the 70 other garden bloggers there!

Diana said...

Carol - It was hard to think of a focal point for the post, especially after we couldn't find focal points in those amazing gardens where everything was incredible. Great to see you, too, and I'll call you in August.

Heather's Garden said...

Lush is the perfect word! And I'm 1/3 of the way through my photos. My eyes seriously hurt.

Diana said...

Heather - it might take me a while, but I'll get through it. It's gonna take me forever to read all the posts though!

Pam/Digging said...

It was a marvelous four days, and yes, those gardens were lush indeed. Made me envious! It was so fun to travel with you again, Diana.

getgrounded said...

Good grief, Diana, I had no idea. Those plants are astonishing! What fun it must be to plant things that actually can grow large and full without withering away or looking leggy and skimpy like so many of our plants here. What a tour - can't wait to see more from your posts. Perhaps we can go next year to the garden walk...and 70! bloggers? Seventy????

Susan aka Miss R said...

It's so interesting to see the perspectives of garden bloggers from other regions. While I might harbor deep and abiding lust for your agaves, I take our lush green summers for granted. It was great to meet you, Diana!

fairegarden said...

Lush it was, Diana, good choice to sum it all up! It was so enjoyable to spend time with you again, it is the friends that make these garden visits so enjoyable. :-)
Frances

Jean said...

Wow, seeing it from the perspective of just the first six hours really says a lot. I hadn't realized how amazing those hours were! Thanks and I look forward to more.

mss @ Zanthan Gardens said...

Buffalo sounds lovely. I want to melt into one of your photos. The gardens look like what I imagine gardens should look like. Lush is a great word. My garden can't be lush in Austin, so I guess I'll have to be.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

There really was so much to see, and all of it amazing. I'm glad I remember to stop and smell the roses (and the lilies) along the way. Wasn't it incredible how welcoming the gardeners were? It was wonderful to see you again too.

Annie in Austin said...

Thank heavens you guys went to Buffa10 this year instead of last year, Diana!
If you'd hit the lushness in July 2009 Austin might have lost a couple of residents to Buffalo!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Patchwork said...

Those gardens do indeed look LUSH. I'm enjoying seeing them, through all the bloggers' eyes.

Thanks for sharing.

~~Linda...

EAL said...

Lush is an excellent word--it has always been one of my favorites.

I love that picture of Robin and Kathy--looks like a hand-painted old photo.

Gail said...

Lush~I can't think of a better word to describe the gardens we saw~I think we are several heat zones away from being able to be lush~ It was great to see you again~I will be in Austin this fall! gail

commonweeder said...

It was wonderful to be among the group of 70 who got to see amazing gardens and learn about new plants, new uses of space, and new friends!

susan harris said...

Great seeing you in Buffalo, Diana. Hugs. Susan

Layanee said...

That is the word. Lush! We had great fun traipsing around didn't we? Next year, hopefully.

Diana said...

Pam - They were marvelous gardens, weren't they? It was a great trip.

GetGrounded - It was amazing how much they can grow up there that we don't ever see here. Sure made me envious -- the grass is always greener, isn't it?

Susan - Miss R -- So glad to hear your lust after our agaves. Somehow that makes me feel better about my plant envy! I was nice to meet you and share the big Buffalo adventure with you.

Fairegarden - You're right - it is the people that make the whole experience so fun. It is so interesting to hear other's perspectives and experiences with plants. Great to see you again, too. Hope you can make it back to Austin.

Jean - it was amazing what they crammed into each day, wasn't it? So fun to share it with you again - hope to see you next time you head back our way.

MSS - You're a hoot! We did have a little of our own lushness on the trip, but mostly it was so dag-gone hot that we just downed ice water like crazy. It was so fun to see such radically different gardens, in spite of my big case of plant envy!

MMD - It was fun to chat with the gardeners. I can't imagine participating in something like the Garden Walk with thousands of people coming through. Our group felt big enough. I had fun hanging with you again, too.

LindaCTG said...

Diana,

Wow! I'm so glad you got to go. Wish I could have been there, but I'm enjoying it thanks to you. And guess you brought that heat back with
you. . .it was "cool" when you were gone.

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh my, what a lovely post! Lush indeed!! I love flowers and I am happy I found your awesome blog!

Nancy

Diana said...

Annie - Yes, being there in the Texas heat wasn't quite the same! I suppose this post made you think of your previous gardens in cooler climes.

Patchwork -- It was all so different from our gardens here -- or from mine at least. But so fun to see and take it all in.

EAL- LOL. Those gardens were all so lush -- perfect little pieces of paradise, waiting for guest to sit and relax in them - with a cup of tea or a cocktail!

Gail-Sometimes it feels like we are not just a few heat zones away from lush, but an entire continent! But it's a style many of us try to emulate as best we can. The grass is always greener, isn't it?!

Commonweeder - You're right, the whole experience was made so much better by sharing it with good friends and gardening cohorts!

Susan - It was fun to hang out together again and see all this amazing stuff, wasn't it? Crossing my fingers for Seattle next year!

Layanee - It was a blast--hope it's just a tad cooler in Seattle next year. Then again, maybe we'll see you in Austin before that!

Linda/CTG - Ok - they told us we brought them the heat -- I promise you, we didn't! It was a great time - hope you can make it to Seattle next year. I'll post about plans soon as they are announced.

Nancy's Notes - So glad you happened onto my blog and enjoyed my Buffalo trip. So many flowers and gardens to see and post about -It will be another week before I can finish getting it all on the blog, but it's a labor of love - sharing all that cottage-y goodness. More went up last night! Hope you enjoy it.