Friday, June 4, 2010

Why I garden...

I was trying to think of a nice gift for the office staff where I volunteer weekly at Kallie's school. Knowing they get more Starbucks cards and candles than they can shake a stick at, I turned to my garden.

Isn't that why I planted a cutting garden? To bring some of the beautiful, nature of the garden inside.

So I picked as many flowers as I had time to find and made these three jelly jars to give them. I filled them with roses, daisies, larkspur, lantana, Mexican oregano, wine cup, marigolds, and cosmos.

Not being the gardening type, they were amazed that all these different flowers had come from my garden and were so appreciative of the gesture.

That really is why I garden -- so I can share some of the beauty and tastiness with my friends and family. And that's why I decided to call my blog "Sharing Nature's Garden."

And now, I'm sharing it with you!

5 comments:

Caroline said...

Those posies are so sweet! What an unique and beautiful gift.

Diana said...

Caroline - Thanks. I try to keep a little jar by the kitchen sink all the time now, too. They're just so perky!

Lancashire rose said...

Nice gift and good idea to have a specific cutting garden One of my veg. beds next year, I think. I like to take something from my garden when we visit. I'm running out of vases an have been known to take flowers in a mason jar. This week it has been patty pan squash!

Gail said...

Cut flowers and jelly jars are perfect gifts...I so need more sunny beds! gail

Diana said...

Lancashire Rose - I also pull from all over the garden, but I do need to think of getting some more little vases or jelly jars to give away. I did save some glass iced tea bottles, too. Ooooh - how is the patty pan squash? I'd like to grow it - we don't eat a lot of squash, but I can't resist those patty pans!

Gail - Yes, losing sunny beds does present a problem, doesn't it? The ever-changing garden is always throwing new challenges at us!