Thursday, May 20, 2010

Someone's coming to dinner...

My parsley in the veggie garden has surpassed the term 'plant.'

It's really a bush, now.

A very large, burgeoning bush.

Bursting forth with green growth all over.

It's easily 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide.

But look who's come to dinner to help take care of that for me!

My big, burgeoning bush is covered with caterpillars, having a big ol party!

I caught this guy actually eating on the parsley. I could see him chomping - jaws and all!

I want to pull out the parsley because it's taking up so much garden space, but I guess I'll have to wait until the party's over! I have watermelons that would like that piece of soil, but they are just gonna have to wait their turn, I guess.

8 comments:

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I always plant parsley for the swallowtail caterpillars! I didn't see any capterpillars last summer and only a few butterflies. I hope they find my parsley this year. I grew it from seed this winter especially for them!

Diana said...

Robin -- I'm sure they will find your parsley, especially since you planted if from seed especially for them! How nice of you to set out a buffet!

LindaCTG said...

I got a new parsley last week at NG for the patio and it came with a swallowtail! I put him on the big bolting garden parsley and he doubled in size overnight. Now I see at least two more little ones chomping away. Definitely, leave it for your dinner guests. Beautiful butterflies await us. Too fun!

Patchwork said...

Ah...your dinner guest is much nicer, than the ones who have been dining here. I don't think these will make beautiful butterflies.

Have a great weekend.

~~Linda...

Tina Poe said...

NOM NOM NOM! Great photo of the little guy in action!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You are a good gardener leaving those caterpillars there to finish their lives out. I plant bronze fennel for these guys.

Jayne said...

I'm putting parsley on my planting list for next year. I want to make sure the buffet is ready if visitors arrive!

Pamie G. said...

I let my swallowtail catepillars have their party and they chopped some of the parsley back and put them all in an aquarium and let them lay their eggs. I also added fennel for their edibles. My granddaughter and I plan on having a swallowtail release party when they come full circle!
You can see it at www.gardenwithme2.blogspot.com