Thursday, March 4, 2010

Signs of Spring keep popping out...

Yesterday I was moping about in the yard, looking at the dormant grass, scraggly rock path plants with lots of dead foliage, and the dead or dormant variegated shell ginger.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear -- but blooms on my Mexican Plum tree. Lo and behold, it is emerging from it's long winter's nap.
One of the handful of bulbs I planted last month (long-neglected and unplanted in a pot in the garage) bloomed today. Can you please ID this for me? I have no idead what this little pretty blossom is.
While not as far along, these are the little buds on my little peach tree that never produces any peaches. I keep saying I am going to rip it out, but then it buds out and I take pity on it and leave it there for another miserable year with two marble-sized and sadly-diseased stones that are supposed to be peaches! It looks like it holds promise, doesn't it? (Don't be fooled!)

Spring may be on its way, yet.

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

Beautiful!!!

My camillia has one full flower and 2 about to open. I was so excited to see them when I went outside today!

getgrounded said...

That Mexican Plum bloom is beautiful. I'm looking forward to a pic of it in full bloom. Our spring is over two weeks behind, isn't it? Maybe more?

Cyndy said...

It's funny how the big picture can look dead, but when we get closer, there are signs of life! The plum's a cutie.

Rachel @ in bloom said...

I think that's a paperwhite! It's very late for them (they're usually up in January), but MSS@Zanthan posted a first flower tweet for one in the last day or two.

Diana said...

Stephanie: I'd love to have camilias - they are so beautiful.

getgrounded: Maybe having a slower spring is making us appreciate it more?

Cyndy: We are having to look a little closer for signs of life this year, aren't we?

Rachel: You're right! I remember that they were paperwhites I was going to put in a tall glass vase inside and never did! But it's so short!

kate smudges said...

The blooms on the Mexican plum tree are so pretty. It must have been a wonderful surprise to see them. The poor peach tree ~ the buds look promising and I can see why you are reluctant to remove it. The white flowers look to be Narcissus tazetta (paperwhites). Hope you keep seeing signs of spring there, Diana!

sweet bay said...

The Mexican Plum blossoms are lovely.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

The Mexican Plum blooms are lovely, just what you need for a shot of springtime.

Jayne said...

That looks like it may be a paperwhite. How lovely to see signs of spring. Perhaps this will be the year for your little peach tree.

LindaCTG said...

Yes, isn't it amazing! This March things aren't as luscious as last year but you can always count on the Mexican plum. And no, it's not really late. I checked my diary and mine that opened this week is on target. The narcissus is short because it didn't have time to grow up much. Next year it will though! (I went through the same thing last year with late bulb planting)

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

Mexican plum is suggested for Oklahoma too. Perhaps I should try it in my garden. It probably grows wild out on our property somewhere though as it is a native. I understand about the peaches. The deer always get mine though.~~Dee

Bob said...

My Santa Rosa and my Methley plums are bloomed out. I hope they haven't made a tragic mistake. I would like to have some plums for a change.