Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Revitalizing Rain

After our recent slow, soaking rain, I heard my plants in the garden give a collective sigh of relief.

Then the sun came out and several sad little specimens started lifting their frazzled foliage upward - reaching for the warmth radiating once again onto their little world.

Many things are very dormant. Some: dead-dormant. And most of the plants, while salvageable, are still sad. But the Aralia, above, once bowed over and brown, perked up again and was very pleased to be sporting some ravishing raindrops.
The teensy Bluebonnet plants are all still alive and beginning to grow again.
Many daffodil bulbs are popping up around various beds.
My Hellebores are a little worse for the wear, but they do have some fresh, new leaves. I can't wait for the first blooms. Three of my 4 plants are new from last year and have never bloomed for me so I'm eager to see what they look like.
These darling little Hyacinths were a totally surprise when I happened upon them today. Forgot I'd planted them!
Who knows who this guy is! But he's on the fast-track up.

This Autumn Joy Sedum survived all the cold - 18 and lower, without anything more than a few yellow leaves. And it's blooming. Wow.
Then you turn around, and on the other hand...

Need I say more? Sigh...

10 comments:

Pam/Digging said...

My poor foxtail ferns and shell gingers look very sad too. I am counting on their returning from the roots. They must!

The rest is looking good in your garden. Can't believe that Autumn Joy is blooming again. Doesn't it know it's winter, not autumn?

getgrounded said...

Oh, your bulbs are way ahead of mine, Diana. That's such a sight for sore eyes, isn't it? We must have something to distract ourselves from staring at the ginger and other tender perennials...it's so hard to keep my hands off mine and not trim back the dead stuff now. Great post - can't wait to see those Hellebores!

Jayne said...

How exciting to have bulbs coming up. I don't have any, but I think I'm going to have to put some in (when we get the border finished) Are your bluebonnets in a bed or in the lawn area?

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Some of my daffodils are peeking out of the ground. Hopefully the dead looking plants will rejuvenate after some good rain and warmer weather.

Diana said...

Pam - I am hoping the ginger is ok. It's never been through temps that cold, but these are well established. That Autumn Joy bloomed all the way through the cold! Crazy.

GetGrounded - And I still have bulbs to PLANT! Seems I was in this predicament last January. Oh well, today may be the day to put them in. I know - not trimming is hard, isn't it?

Jayne - The Bluebonnets are in a bed and then they self-seeded across the driveway to another bed. It's so exciting for me because I haven't had much luck with them because I have too much mulch.

Lisa -- It does amaze me when bulbs come up through the snow. That's such a cool thing. And I know you get really excited about it because you still have a bit of winter to go!

jodi (bloomingwriter) said...

WOW! things are just leaping ahead for you, aren't they Diana? I'm naturally jealous because...well...you know. It'll be months for me. That's okay because photos from gardens like yours keep me sane over the next couple of months.

Diana said...

Jodi-- I'm sure you are getting tired of winter and I know it's not over yet. While we have warm weather now, we'll get another freeze - probably just in time to kill all sorts of new plants and growth!

Annie in Austin said...

Isn't it weird what made it and what didn't, Diana? Cilantro okay here but some tiny bluebonnets disappeared. Hellebores lived through Chicago winters so your 18F must not have scared them!

I've had shell ginger freeze to the ground and slowly come back from the roots - hope yours is okay.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Diana said...

Annie - I can't believe your cilantro survived! Sorry you lost some bluebonnets. Think I lost a few small ones, too. Wonder if I can still reseed? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Ginger.

Linda/Central Texas Gardener said...

I think it's so exciting to see these young signs of life! That's what is neat about gardening with bulbs, such fun surprises. And it distracts us from the ones we're concerned about.

Have fun planting the rest of your bulb gang!