Friday, January 8, 2010

Plants in a time of freeze...

Welcome back and Happy New Year!

I've been AWOL for the holiday-travel-birthday-holiday-travel-holiday-birthday season. (Technically, the last birthday isn't over. Our 7-year old daughter and 12 little friends will be tumbling and eating pizza and cookie cake at the gymnastics center tomorrow afternoon!) But tonight is close enough!

I have so missed blogging. And I miss visiting other blogs, too. But I have to swear off entirely or I will get sucked into the vortex. (You know the vortex, don'tcha?!)

Sometimes life interferes with gardening and blogging, but boy I feel it. I miss the creative outlet and communing with nature and my blogging buds. I've been itching to garden, too, but our deep freeze is making that unlikely -- this week, at least!

So I walked through the garden before last night's 24F freeze to see what I could see.I know you will NOT believe this, but this is a Winecup that is STILL blooming from last Spring on the Rock Path! We have had frosts and light freezes already, and yet it still survives!
These are Daffodil bulbs peeking up to see what's going on out here.
This is the very sad Agave desmettiana variegata. It did NOT fare as well through the light frosts of earlier Fall. In fact, it looks like mush. And last night did it in. Chalk one up to a lesson learned. I did not know it was so tender. All the other new Agaves in the garden this year seem to be weathering the storms ok.
This is my salmon and pink Acapulco Agastache - dead on top, but already bursting with new foliage from the base thanks to some recent sunny 50F days.
This Aralia is officially dead now. Totally wilter - I wonder if it will come back? Do you know?
This is the giant bowl of radishes, lettuce and Swiss Chard that I picked before the freeze. We ate the chard tonight with some bacon and balsamic vinegar and had radishes to eat by themselves. I pulled a 1015 onion and they are nowhere near forming bulbs. Think they are gonna bite the dust. Strawberries seem ok so far.

If they're right (the mysterious "they"), tonight will be the true test if it gets down to 19F. (But then again, they said it might not get above freezing all day today, and I hit 39 and very sunny late afternoon here, so go figure!)

Be warm. Wherever you are, I'm sure it's cold tonight!

15 comments:

Janet said...

That is pretty darn cold for Central Texas....we were in Texas one winter where my outside pipes burst from the cold! Think it was '85 or '86? First time I ever had a pipe freeze.
Glad to see you back....so are you swearing off entirely? really?

Lancashire rose said...

Welcome back and Happy New year. I wasn't surprised to see your wine cup! I remember you saying that you were in a warmer area over there. Sorry about your A. desmettiana. They say it is supposed to be hardy to 25 --however my experience is to the contrary. I have lost them every year and I think it is because they are overwatered. The ones I have which receive no additional water last longer. It usually makes lots of pups and they stay warm under their mama.I hope you have some down there. As to the J aralia- I have 2 large ones and I hope they survive because there is going to be a big hole in the garden if not. Surely it gets cold in Japan.

getgrounded said...

Diana, welcome back! My aralia out front is well over 15 years old - probably closer to 20 - and has gone through many freezes without problem. Hopefully, both mine and yours will weather this fine. Have fun with your party...

getgrounded said...

Diana, welcome back! My aralia out front is well over 15 years old - probably closer to 20 - and has gone through many freezes without problem. Hopefully, both mine and yours will weather this fine. Have fun with your party...

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Good to hear you had a busy fun time while away. I hope your garden survives the freezes.

Diana said...

Janet - it IS cold for us! I remember snow in 84 - have a picture of my 1-yr old son in it! I am NOT swearing off at all - just have to take a winter break and glad it's over!

Lancashire Rose - I should have consulted with you before I got that Agave, but live and learn! My Aralia foliage is all dead, but maybe the plant will survive.

GetGrounded - Well, I hope the Aralia roots are ok, the rest is not! Things that looked fairly alive yesterday look very peaked today.

Lisa -- Oh, no lack of fun and things to do over the holiday here! How are you holding up with the cold? How much snow have you had? In-laws got 6"+ this week and got stuck in.

Eric @ MyFirstGarage.com said...

My Daffodils are budding, too. Right now they are about the only things with signs of life in my backyard - The Lavender isn't doing well, nor are most of my other plants. Let's hope for the best.

http://www.myfirstgarage.com/gardening/daffodil-bulbs-sprouting-in-december

Diana said...

Eric -- Good luck. I think it's going to be a crap shoot for all of us! Interesting to see which varieties tough it out and how much being well established really helps!

Pam/Digging said...

I was surprised to see the rogue winecup but bet it doesn't make it through this cold blast. I've missed your posts through the holidays and look forward to reading them again now that you have more time.

Diana said...

Pam -- Awww - thanks! I was having blog withdrawal - no kidding. Yes, Mr. Winecup was bright pink but lying down last night. This morning -- who knows. I'm not going out there to look yet! But I do see lots of deader things ...dead-er...you know, sad yesterday, sadder today!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Welcome back! I was glad to see that you're going to BuffaFling, it'll be great to see you again.
Your poor Agave! It looks so sad. I wouldn't write off the Aralia until midsummer. You never know.

mss @ Zanthan Gardens said...

I think your aralia might die down but will come back from the roots. I had one for many years. I had to move it to build the failed garden house and then it died of too much sun. But it never had problems with any of our coldest years before that going back to the last time we had these kind of temps in 1996.

Diana said...

MMD - Hey - so glad you are going. It will be a blast! Thanks for the Aralia hope - several people have said that, so I am hopeful.

MSS -- Oh so glad to hear that about your Aralia...well, not to hear that died, but that the cold didn't get it - that part! Isn't this the craziest thing? Hotter than ever, then almost colder than ever!

Linda/patchwork said...

It is a crazy thing. This was my first year to garden in Central Texas. What a year to start!
Sorry about your agave. Hope you have some pups there, as Jenny said.

Diana said...

Linda -- Nope, sadly there were no pups there. Just a little lesson...and a hefty price tag! Hope you didn't lose too much in your first (totally bizarre) year!