Monday, January 25, 2010

My little pretties are popping up...

Oh, the pretty ladies of Spring are putting on their finery to come to the party.

I've been all excited about the little green stalks of Narcissus peeking up out of the mulch in various garden beds.

So you can imagine how worked up I got when I realized today, that I actually have things in bloom!

Several Grape Hyacinths are blooming and have clearly naturalized with lots of little friends popping up right behind them.

I forgot I'd planted them, but when I searched previous posts, I found them here: http://bit.ly/8aqGGs

I realized that they came in an indoor pot with daffodils that I put in the ground when they were done blooming indoors!

How fun.

Love those little surprises.

Strolling through the mostly brown and dormant garden, seeing the little splashes of color just cheers me up.


One clump of Daffodils -- the "Yellow Fortune" that I planted last year (yes, in January!), is already about to bloom.

Should be another day or two. And in 2008 it was February before the first Daffodil bloomed. Go figure.
And while crouched down looking at the Daffodils in amazement, I saw -- beautiful buds all over my Japanese Quince, just waiting to pop open and show off their luscious salmon colored petals.

13 comments:

Janet said...

I really love the fragrance of hyacinths. Mine have suffered vole attacks.
What a treat to have plants plumping up readying to pop open.

Caroline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caroline said...

Your hyacinths are lovely! Yesterday I found what I think are tulips -- and not t. clusiana, but regular ol' big box nursery tulips -- that apparently naturalized! I almost dug them up with the weeds! I hope to get pictures soon.

Jayne said...

I haven't tried to grow hyacinths down here in Texas, but they were always my favorite when I lived in England - the fragrance was wonderful. Don't you just love the little surprises :-)

Pam/Digging said...

Happy surprises, Diana. I still have nothing in bloom outside, although the abutilons are trying to make a comeback and have a few buds.

Cyndy said...

Your little pretties are oh so pretty! Mine will be hiding another couple of months - thanks for the sneak peek!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What fun having blooms beginning to unfold. Our daffs etc are up but after the temps plummeted last night and the skiff of snow I imagine they won't actually bloom until much later. It is good to see what I have to look forward to.

Gail said...

Here's where fantastic and lovely are good short comments! gail

Eric @ MyFirstGarage.com said...

My Daffodils are still about 2 weeks away from blooming, but the beds are full of shoots. And yesterday, I saw the first signs of my Tulips sprouting!
Go Austin !

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Lovely Diana and very spring-y. In my garden the Hamamelis is in full swing, the rest is mostly still fast asleep.

Kylee from Our Little Acre said...

Oh I LOVE the fragrance of Dutch Hyacinths! What a wonderful surprise that is! I looked at your link to them from last year and wow, now you're making me wish for spring even more. I'm so envious that you're having it now. I had no idea that the climate in Austin was like this. When I think of Texas, I think of desert, even though I know better.

Diana said...

Janet -- I've got to go stick my nose down in them! I only looked from afar yesterday.

Caroline - Thanks. I can't believe you have regular tulips coming up! That is really bizarre for Austin - can't wait to see 'em.

Jayne -- These are my first planted hyacinths. I have a few left by the previous homeowner and always love it when they come up.

Pam - My Abutilon is no where near blooming - but it's a different variety than yours, clearly not as hardy.

Cyndy -- Well, anticipation is half the fun of gardening though, isn't it. I'm sure yours will be up before you know it!

Lisa - I find it amazing that you even have green Daffodils peeking up at all with all that cold and snow. That seems like the most incredible thing to me.

Gail -- How nice of you to visit in your 15 minutes! Hope you're doing well.

Eric -- I love that the Daffodils bloom at all different times. And I am so jealous that you have tulips - the deer would eat them here, I'm afraid.

Yolanda - well, it would be a bit early for you to have Daffodils, but I will envy all your beautiful tulips when they come. I so hope to get back to Keukenhof one day when it is in full bloom. I was there as a child and still remember how amazing it is.

Kylee - Oh, we are so not desert! But it does get too dog-gone hot sometimes! We are all over the weather map these last few years - just like you. But even with the cold snap we had a while back, our winters are still very mild overall.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

How wonderful that your bulbs have gotten together and decided to give you an early show to cheer you up. I love the scent of Hyacinths.