Saturday, January 9, 2010

I see Dead things!

Some things are just ... DEAD.

They might come back, mind you. But for now, they are D-E-A-D!
The gingers always die and come back, but not with these frigid temps. Guess we will have to cross our fingers. The Esperanza behind them sometimes don't make it back, even in just a cool year, so I expect to lose some of them. But I have to say, the Ginger smells amazing outside - something about the freeze and thaw that is working on their roots and the best smell is wafting up from them. Interesting, you'd think a freeze would generate no smell. That was one of my complaints about living in Minnesota for a few years - grey, no-smells of outdoors winters.
The onion tops cratered -- wonder if the 1015s in the ground will still form. I pulled a test one and they are only about the thickness of a double-wide green onion so far. I'll cross my toes!
The big ol' 8-ft tall Duranta Erecta succumbed last night. May not get that tall next year. It never froze back or went dorman last fall, so it might take it awhile to get that big again. I'll cross my arms!
Same with the giant Cassias. The Candlestick trees grew for 2 years straight and never stopped. I suspect they will top out at 6 feet next year, instead of 12 feet! I'll cross my legs!

Guess it's gonna be a "short" Spring! (And I don't think I have anything left to cross)

11 comments:

getgrounded said...

Oh, my gingers look just like yours, but without the lovely smell; I'll add some crossed fingers to yours.

Why is it that the northern garden blogs I read never talk about the devastation that we've gone through in the last 12 months? All we need now is the coming of the locusts...
Noooooo!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Be glad you aren't back here visitng family in IN. It is -2 here this morning. Brrrr. I hope your plants survive this cold snap.

Amy said...

I looked outside this morning and was wondering ... which ones will make it? I hope I have a garden left :/ I am crossing my fingers, too!

Gail said...

Diana, It's really a shocker to see what this winter has brought us! All my evergreen perennials look dead! It would have helped here to have a layer of snow to mulch it all before 8F temps arrived. I am trying to be philosophical about the dead plants and dream about there replacements.

Keep warm,
gail

Janet said...

Perhaps the tops are dead and the roots are still alive. For me it is time to clean up the 'dead'. Maybe later in the week when it is supposed to be a little warmer.

Linda/Central Texas Gardener said...

I'm going to have to go out and sniff the gingers! My duranta is toast, too. The thryallis doesn't look too great. But let's just "cross" that bridge in a few months. I bet we'll get some surprises yet!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

You could always cross your eyes, and that might make things look a little better too. In answer to getgrounded's question, we don't experience this kind of devastation because generally, we plant things that are hardy enough to survive the coldest temperatures our zones throw at us, and we also hedge our bets by mulching or covering some things. Finally, snow is a great insulator. We tend not to lose things when it's -20 if there is snow, but we lose plants at -15 if the ground is bare.
So yes, you all are suffering terribly.

Diana said...

GetGrounded - LOL - locusts. Don't say that tho, we have had really, really bad grasshoppers -- about 8-9 years ago, and they ate EVERYTHING! Shhhh!

Lisa -- Glad it's not -2, too! But at least you have snow to provide some blanket of cover.

Amy - Hi! And who knows how long it will take us all to figure out whether each variety of plant will come back or not...wait, replant, wait, replant -- that will be the Spring mantra!

Gail - Isn't it a crazy winter? Nothing we can do about it, though, except adjust and move on. (But I might be cranky for just a little while longer, if you don't mind!)

Janet -- It's supposed to get to 63 here on Thursday. Since we may get more serious cold because of El Nino, I'll wait to cut back dead stuff so I don't push it into growth. Ugly to look at, tho!

Linda-CTG -- I hope our surprises aren't more cold snaps after everything thing perks up with 63 degrees this week! But I am sure we will have more cold, so I am hunkering down to wait for March.

MMD - Cross my EYES! Forgot that one! LOL. I know snow sometimes helps your plants overwinter, and I forgot you sometimes mulch or put leaves, pine straw out. We just aren't used to that at all. It's in Mother Nature's hands now, that's for sure!

Cindy McMorris Tournier said...

Ohmygosh, you see them too? ACK! It's happening all over Central and South Central Texas!

Mary Beth said...

I'm a little south of you and we had our first freeze in many, many years last weekend - the first thing I noticed the next morning was the ginger aroma in the air. It was heavenly. The next day it was done but in it's place, you could smell dill all over the yard (rotting, I'm sure). So glad to hear someone else talk about the ginger smell too. Here's to warmer day!

Diana said...

Cindy - Well, I just hope that this warm weather and the coming rain will help revitalize the things that are only dormant and not-quite-dead-yet.

Mary Beth -- I'm glad to hear you smelled the ginger, too. I was wondering if I was "smelling things!" But I am not looking forward to any rotting, that's for sure!