Thursday, March 5, 2009

Should I, or should I not?

Ok.

It's the 5th of March. It's going to be 83 today and the lowest forecasted temp in the next 7 days is 50.

I'm leaving town for spring break for 6 days at the end of that 7-day forecast...

Plants in the greenhouse are VERY hot in the afternoons and require a lot of care to keep them cool -- like hosing down the whole place and wetting the gravel at least once a day.

Our "official" last chance of frost is March 21st.

What are the chances that some freakish front with frost decides to frown upon us if I DON'T take the plants all out before I go?

What are the chances that the plants BOIL in their own skin if someone forgets to open up the greenhouse or isn't around to cool them off?

Decisions, decisions.

Then there is this wind. Probably 30mph at least - I'm afraid to bring some of the plants out because they will get beaten up. I think they will need temporary homes up on the patio where there is windbreak. Which means moving furniture to make room for them...and then moving them yet again later.

Gardening is a lot of work.

(I know, I'm a master of the obvious. I'm just cranky about it because I would so rather be planting than hauling.)

So, should I, or shouldn't I?