Saturday, November 21, 2009

Gross ... really gross!

Can you say ewwwwwww?

I moved the Agapanthus, so THIS is what Dakota dug up out of the grass this week.

Disgusting. Fat and juicy and nasty. With a long spiny thing on the end. It was about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch fat. Not sure if it is a caterpillar or what, but it gave me nightmares, seriously. I suspect it's a Giant Silk Moth caterpillar of some sort. Seems they get dug out of the grass, but I wasn't willing to scroll too far through Google to confirm the exact kind.

Sigh.
And then she went outside and found a mushroom somewhere and as a result, threw up twice inside yesterday afternoon.

Sigh.

WHAT is with this dog??!!!!!

21 comments:

Randy Emmitt said...

Diana,
Not that gross. Ever found something in a container deep in the recesses of your fridge and wonder what it used to be? We found one this week I think it was cheese, made the mistake of opening it.

Diana said...

Randy -- Ha! That's true, I've done that. But this thing was alive -- Trumps dead gross! (Especially since I had to deal with it.)

Gail said...

Ahh pets~~we love them anyway. gail

Diana said...

Gail -- You know, I really do love her. She's such a sweet girl otherwise and she thinks I hung the moon, so how can I fault her? tee hee!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You mean your dog was acting like a dog!! How disgusting. Facinating caterpillar.

Janet said...

Hey, he's a dog! Always something to explore or EAT!

Diana said...

Lisa -- Yes, you're right! LOL. I don't really want them to be dogs, I want them to be quiet kids with fur!

Janet -- She is a very adventurous dog, that's for sure. It's the hound -- makes her all dog. Shoulda known!

Amy said...

Ewwwww...is right. I don't like finding things like that when I am outside digging. It is the one thing about gardening that I could do without.

Diana said...

Amy -- I know what you mean -- I especially hate digging up those big 'ol' grubs!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Dog do the grossest things. I love them dearly, but sometimes, yuck! Did I ever tell you about the time I caught my dogs rolling in a dead mouse?

Diana said...

MMD - Ewwww. Now that's really gross! And I always have to fence off areas where I compost. They love to get into that!

Linda/Central Texas Gardener said...

That's not that gross! Interesting, really, would love to know what it is. Not even gross about that crazy dog and garden dining/throwing up. Sounds like a delightful, normal family!

Love your bloom day pictures, too. At least Dakota didn't eat your camera! Now THAT would be gross.

Diana said...

Ah Linda, kind soul. Dakota thanks you for being her advocate!

Patchwork said...

Diana,
I just passed on to you and award I was given. The Best Blog Award.
No obligation to you, but I enjoy your blog and thought I'd pass it along. Simple rules on this one. No confessions.
Linda...

shannen said...

That is a tomato worm! http://organicgardensite.com/bugs-harmful/tomato-horn-worms/

Diana said...

Shannen - oh - I know tomato horn worms! This thing had a hard shell and was about 3 x the size of a tomato horn worm!

Amy said...

Hi, Diana - I wanted to let you know that I gave you an award on my blog. It is up to you if you want to pass it on. I just wanted to mention you :)
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Cindy, My Corner of Katy said...

Diana, my neighbor brought me a similar caterpillar that HER dog had been toying with in their yard. It was a weird pinkish color with a little horn on one end. I never did get around to researching it as I told her I would.

JennyP said...

I saw one of those in a container planting at a client's! It was so disgusting and weird that my crew stopped to take pics (that I of course accidentally deleted). We should have a Gross Bug Contest, and I nominate the rhinocerous beetle grub.

Diana said...

Cindy -- I'm certain it was a caterpillar, but it had a hard shell, just weird.

Jenny -- We should have a contest! And I'd vote for the giant grub, too! Ewww - those almost make me gag. But I know they aren't bad, still...ewww.

Ayurvedic Medicine said...

yeeeaaakkkhhhh.... its not good to see it on lunch table...