Thursday, October 29, 2009

What they're there for!


So, I made a little bed for a cutting garden last fall. In it went a Carefree Beauty (Katy Road) Rose, Indigo Spires, Cosmos, Zinnias, Daisies, Bachelor's Buttons, Larkspur, Lion's Tail, Gladiolas, Bluebonnets, Lamb's Ears, Lilies, Clematis, Morning Glories and a variegated Agave Americana. A few of the seeds didn't come up, like the Daisies, but most did, in various states of growth and fullness. But in my desire to have a pretty bed, I've been hesitant to cut flowers!

Today, with the ominous winds whipping about and a storm forecast, I thought, I should bring a few of these in to enjoy them before they get beaten about.

So I did.

And, for my Day #4 of the 29-Day Giving Challenge, I took a bunch to a good friend. (You can click on the 29-Day link to the right to learn more about this cool movement.)

I'm so glad I brought them in for me, and so glad I shared some, too. Garden happiness indoors tonight.

11 comments:

Linda/Central Texas Gardener said...

Lovely! I remember the first time I cut flowers from my garden for the house. That hooked me as a gardener.

Diana said...

Linda -- I love having fresh flowers in the house. My husband usually gets me some at the store on the weekends, which I love. My floppy little homegrown arrangement is just so sweet though!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Wonderful! I hope you write aobut your cutting garden again in the spring. I will need it for an inspiration to get busy and make a cutting garden of my own. I did it one year and loved it. My lazy self hasn't gotten that little project accomplished since. Your bouquet alone is encouragement. It is just beautiful. What a nice thing to do for your friend too. Lucky lady.

Diana said...

Lisa -- I will definitely be at it again with the seeds. I got a little discouraged with things that didn't come up, but I think I've got to go at it like veggies in the garden -- keep sowing. So, that's my plan and I'm sticking to it!

Janet said...

I think having a cutting garden is almost a lost piece of gardening. We are all too concerned with the landscape appearance that we don't designate a bed for just cutting. Good for you to do so. I love having flowers in the house from the garden.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

That's why I don't have a cutting garden. I hate to bring anything in. It's a lovely bouquet you've made up, and I like the idea of giving it away.

Maria said...

and your lucky friend loved her beautiful bouquet! Thank you!

Diana said...

Maria --- Awwwww. That's so sweet. I love it that you commented here!

Gail said...

I like this day's gift and the 29 days of giving. I asked my husband to be in charge of fresh flowers; so he brings a bouquet home every week. They are wonderful to have in a house. Hmm....you're on to a good thing, a cutting garden is perfect. gail

getgrounded said...

I love your cuttings! And how human of you to want to see them in the garden as well as in your vase...I think we can all relate. Isn't that amazing to think that that beautiful bouquet started out as tiny seeds from your hands? And they did that through extreme conditions, too. Wait till next year!

Diana said...

Janet -- I never really thought of it that way. I think it's growing up overseas where there are so many cut flowers everywhere - much more common there. (your seeds are almost ready!)

MMD -- I think the trick for me is to just plant enough that I can take a few without it being bare!

Gail - glad you're following my 29 days. It's a great thing. And my hubby brings me flowers most weekends, too. So sweet.

GetGrounded -- What a nice way to put it, from seeds to my vase. And yes, I hope next year it fills in a little more with a little more experience and sowing.