Thursday, July 16, 2009

bloom day a day late...

I've failed for Bloom Day -- I missed it by a day and I didn't get everything that was blooming. But it's a long list and much of it has been posted lately, so I'm giving you the short and sweet edition.

The Butterflies are out in full force these days, so I try to keep lots of water (shallow) available for them. Like the birds and the deer, they get thirsty in these 100+ degree days, too.
Grandpa Ott Morning Glory.
My transplanted ditch lily, brought back to me in a bucket from Wisconsin from my good garden-blogging friend, Lori, at the Gardener of Good and Evil.
My Tropical Punch Canna.
Another Morning Glory.
This isn't technically a bloom yet, it's going to be beautiful when this Little Gem Magnolia blooms while we are gone next week.

Thanks, Carol, at May Dreams Gardens for inviting us to share our garden beauties with on Bloom Day.

We're headed to Indiana and Kentucky tomorrow, so look for some cooler posts from the Midwest if my new computer is set up.

11 comments:

Janet said...

So sorry you will miss your Magnolia bloom! Have a great trip!

Diana said...

Janet -- Thanks! I'll miss the blooms if it means some relief from this heat. Of course, cooler - high 90s weather - is forecast for next week here. But it will be in the glorious 70s where I am!

Caroline said...

Oh, how I wish my Grandpa Otts had come up! I love the Shiva but I adore the old-fashioned blue morning glories. Have fun in Indiana and Kentucky.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Bring a sweater, we are predicted to have some record cool days and nights. I love seeing your blooms. I am surprised you have any in all that heat.

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

Diana, I was also a day late, and bloom or two short. I'm glad you're getting away from the heat. Enjoy.~~Dee

Diana said...

Caroline -- I just love Grandpa Otts -- there's just something about it, isn't there? You'll just have to try again. I just put some seeds in elsewhere a week ago - but a mix of unknowns.

Lisa - sweater and sweatshirt packed. My husband is laughing at me. But I don't adjust that quickly and if it's 30 degrees colder - sheesh! Thanks for the warning!

Dee -- I am perpetually a bloom or two short! Ha. I am looking forward to the cooler weather and leaving my garden in the very capable hands of my son who will stay here with the dogs.

Linda/patchwork said...

Have a great trip. Enjoy that cool weather. ~~Linda...

Diana said...

Linda - Thanks! And I promise not to complain about the cold :-)

Gail said...

Diana, Happy GBBD! You have lots of lovely blooms! Let me know if I can send you the double ditch lily...named Kwanso. I have several that I am going to move...They are lovely as a double flower. Have a fun vacation! gail

Diana said...

Gail - Thanks, and back atcha'. We're having a great time on our trip to the farm in IN. Tomorrow little miss and I go to Ky. to visit some of my folks for 2 days. YES you can send me the double ditch lily named Kwanso. I would be honored and so excited. The lily society folks looked down their noses at me when I asked why I couldn't find ditch lilies to buy! But I love them.

Sylvana said...

That blue morning glory has an eerie, beautiful glow to it.

That magnolia bud looks like something from another planet.

You have one strange, wonderful garden!