Monday, June 22, 2009

Things that haven't fried yet

With the 100+ degrees we've had for the last week and 100+ days forecast for the next week, things are going to start frying here, even though I have an outrageous water bill. Lots of the tomatoes are ripening right now, along with a few other things.

I picked:
  • tomatoes
  • okra
  • strawberries
  • leeks
  • Genovese and Black Opal Basil
  • green beans

The basil is in two vases in the kitchen and permeates the whole house -- hey -- free air freshener! Since there isn't enough okra for a side dish, I'm going to try to pickle them -- refrigerator-pickle style so I don't have to mess with canning. Cross your fingers!
I'm thinking of making tomato jam or marmelade -- any suggestions? And I am not sure these green beans are worth cooking. They seem very faded and not very green again. The last ones I made were tough and chewy. It may just be too darn hot for them to grow tasty any more.
And the leeks are going to be in a potato leek soup. I'll eat it all by myself if I have to! You've gotta cook fresh stuff when it's fresh. I'll try to stretch it -- cooking them Wednesday to eat with my DH for dinner on Friday. Yumm-o!

7 comments:

Janet said...

Nice haul!! I have only had lettuce from our garden so far...though the tomatoes are about the size of an egg.

Diana said...

Janet -- wish I still had lettuce but it is WAY too hot for it here now. I'll put some in again in the fall.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I will be whining right along with you about the heat. At least you have some delicious veggies to show for your efforts in the garden.

Annie in Austin said...

It's been such a hard year but you managed a real crop, Diana! Have fun thinking what to make with the produce.
It's hard to keep even basil alive in this weather.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Diana said...

Lisa -- Sounds like you guys have been hot and humid and miserable, too. And my in-laws (with the farm in Arcadia) are struggling with all the rain you've had.

Annie - It is a hard year, Annie. But I think you are right, it's been "a hard year" every year for about the last 5 -- in one way or another with more extremes than we used to experience.

Po said...

Hi.

Just stumbled across your blog. Love it.

Have you had a look at www.ooooby.org yet?

Lots of people there who would appreciate what you have to say. Over 1000 food gardeners and locavores networking together.

Ooooby is an acronym for Out of our own back yards.

Hope you like it.

Pete

Cindy, My Corner of Katy said...

Diana, I'm so envious of your leeks. I planted some in a 16 inch pot and watched them do precisely NOTHING over the last 3 months. Whatever it is they want, I wasn't giving it to them!