Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Feeling left out ...


A few of my garden friends were feeling left out because my photo skills were lacking and I didn't post them yesterday.

They gave me what-for today, so I decided I would show them off! Above we have one of my new day lilies - Grand Wazir.
And my Abutilon is still a steady bloomer -- what a prolific plant she is.
The tropical hibiscus in the pots by the pool are blooming. Sadly, they are leftover from last year and really big. That's sad because now I have hot pink Maggie Roses peeking up over the back of the pool wall and it literally hurts my eyes to look at them both in the same view. What to do, what to do...I hate to pull out those big hibiscus and have no where else to put them...

This pretty little vine (I think it's a Clematis, but I can't be sure and for some reason I didn't write it down), is much more magenta, but my camera didn't produce it true to color. I also have that problem with purples -- they come out blue. Do you have the same problem with some of your colors? I'm going to have to go down to the camera shop and figure this out.
These coneflowers came back up again this year, pretty as you please. Their friend, the very expensive "Green Envy" that I ordered is still a tiny little patch of green. It should take note of the impressive growth of it's neighbor!
And here we are back to the Hibiscus. Janet, the Queen of Seaford, is trying to help me figure out if it's a Texas Star or a Lord Baltimore or something else. So, here are some more shots of the whole plant and the foliage and today's amazing bloom. (I count my lucky stars for every one that the deer don't eat!)

8 comments:

Janet said...

thanks Diana! It is NOT a Texas Star. (I will have to send you some seeds...you NEED to have a TX Star being in TX) and unfortunately it is not Lord Baltimore either. :-( BUT, I think it is either Hibiscus x. 'Pinot Noir' or H. Bordeaux or one of the Disco Belle varieties that is all red. Or....something else. How is that for being definite?
Your vine is not a Clematis, looks like a Mandevilla. Which one, I am not going to even try to guess!!
Let me know if you want me to send you some seeds from the H. coccinea.

Rose said...

That hibiscus is amazing, Diana! I do hope the deer appreciate its beauty and leave it alone. Your garden is gorgeous, and so many blooms! No wonder you couldn't get them all in one post. I was going to say I thought your clematis was actually a Mandevilla, too; now that I see Janet has also identified it, I feel even more confident:)

mrbrownthumb said...

Ahh, your Abutilon is making me miss my standard I had a couple of years ago.

Bonnie said...

You will know Texas Star because the leaves look like marijuana leaves.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Those hibiscus are amazing. They don't get any where near that big here.

Yes, my camera rarely sees flowers the same color as I do. Just the nature of the beasts.

Caroline said...

When my blue flowers come out too purple, sometimes changing the "white balance" setting on my camera helps.

EAL said...

Yeah, I was not buying that as a clematis either, it's much more exotic/tropical looking.

I love all the hot tropical stuff you Texans excel in.

Diana said...

Janet -- I DO want some seeds. This plant is amazing. I had 6 blooms today. Wish I'd photographed them. Maybe tomorrow again! You can email me at: dianackirby@gmail.com and we'll figure out the seeds. Thank you! I think the Hibiscus is Moy Grande. And I think you're right about the Mandevilla.

Rose - I just keep waiting for the deer to eat it. They are hovering (and I posted about them just a few minutes ago) and it's just a matter of time. I'm not sure they appreciate their beauty! And yes, I do think you're right about the Mandevilla.

MBT -- Abutilons are my new favorite plant from this Spring. It blooms every day. Amazing. And it seems to be tolerating our heat so far. Cross your fingers!

Bonnie -- well, this one doesn't. (Not that I would know!)

Lisa -- Well, I'm just glad my camera "saw" those big Hibiscus as the right color. They are HOT pink!

Caroaline -- thanks for the tip. I will have to check that out and see what I can do about it.

EAL -- Yep - you're right about the Mandevilla. We can do tropical here, and I have quite a few tropical things in my garden in particular. I think they are liking these 10 days of 100, with 7 more at 100 or higher (102) in the forecast. Did I miss July? Is it August already?!!