Monday, May 25, 2009

Garden dinner...

This was the scene from my kitchen this afternoon. I sliced up leeks to fry and crisp up to top some boiled and fried potatoes, cut up green beans for a side dish and sliced a Lemon Yellow tomato to eat with just a little kosher salt.

Yum, yum. The beans were picked about a week or more too late, but with travel and other family things going on, I finally got to them today and my husband and I are both at home together tonight to eat them.

The leeks were originally going to be potato leek soup, but I thought I'd try something different and it worked great. They were browned little crisps that went great with the browned potatoes.

And the tomato was sweet and delicate, with a lot less acidity than your average red tomatoes. They have a very subtle but very nice flavor -- I'd plant that one again. The cherry tomatoes on the counter were "Hank" and were sent to me for free with my TomatoBob heirloom tomato seed order in December. My DH said that they were not as sweet as the normal cherry tomatoes we grow, so I don't think I will order them.

Paired with some pork tenderloin medallions under the broiler, as Martha Stewart would say, it was "a good thing."

10 comments:

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Yum! I wish I had a veggie garden! I'll have to go to the farmer's market for my garden fresh veggies.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

yumm. I made a leek soup, which is awesome. Never heard of frying them up crispy. Now I want to.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You are making me hungry. I like to make creamy leek soup. Yummmm

Gail said...

Delicious! I love yellow tomatoes. We have fresh spinach basil salad last night from the farmers market! See you soon! gail

Janet said...

Oh to have tomatoes already!! I love leeks, great plant that isn't used in American cooking as often as it should be.

Layanee said...

Can't wait for the fling meeting and plant talk! In the meantime, my mouth is watering for a fresh tomato but I am months away. I'll pretend I had a bite of yours.

Diana said...

Robin -- I started with a few tomato plants and have expanded a little. I have just about what I can handle and (almost) keep up with. Quite a few weeds in there today - hoping to get them out before l leave for SF!

Debbi - I make leek soup, too, and there is a pot of that in our future (or two or three!) Crispy they were just like fried onions in there -- and that would make a great casserole topping, too.

Lisa - Yesp - love that leek soup...hey - anything with potatoes and cream, right?!

Gail -- spinach basil salad sounds delicious. I wish we could still have lettuce, but it's just getting too hot here for that. I will miss that.

Janet -- I spent 1/2 my childhood growing up overseas and my Mom is German so I am used to eating them - they love them over there.

Layanee -- I'd offer to bring you all some tomatoes, but I don't think they would weather the trip very well! We'll just talk about them in person in just 3 days!

Matron said...

That looks like the perfect meal! Well anything that is fresh and home grown can't be beaten! Bon appetit!

Annie in Austin said...

Nice harvest, Diana - the leek crisp idea sounds like a winner.
Have fun at the Fling - hope you come back to many perfect tomatoes ;-]

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

alex216 said...

I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool.
謝謝你的文章分享,請你有空到我

參觀,Thanks