Wednesday, April 22, 2009

How GREEN are you? Take this test & win a prize!

Happy Earth Day!

I hope you are enjoying this great day and that your weather let you be outside today.

It was 94 F here today.

No kidding. 94.

Is is summer? Did I miss something? Oh, no -- it's TEXAS!

In honor of Earth Day, I have a contest for you. This is what is turning into my annual "Shades of Green" post -- honoring the green in our gardens instead of the blooms for just one day of the year.

If you can name all these plants (common names are just fine) or you get the most correct if no one names them all, I will send you "The Gardener's Bedside Reader."

This is a wonderful book with a collection of stories and essays, illustrated with vintage advertisements and garden memorabilia, botanical drawings and stunning color photography.

So, take a shot at it and let's see how green you're feeling this Earth Day!

This contest will close at midnight CST on Wednesday, April 29th, one week from today.














Good luck!

11 comments:

Laura said...

wow!! i was worried you would be sending out a million books but your test seems really challenging! what i great idea-i love it!! i can't wait to come and visit your garden in person when i am finally living in austin again!!

Diana said...

Laura - Ha! It's really not that hard - if you know the plants in the south or in my garden! Can't wait till you get here and I can show you some of the new cool places that have cropped up since you left!

getgrounded said...

Diana, I'm going to have to think about some of those! Good contest...I've recognized a few but I'll wait to post when I have a few more names. Be sure to get over to Gardening Gone Wild for the photo contest - it ends tonight, and I didn't see a link for you on there.

Janet said...

Well Diana, great challenge. I see some baptista, loroepetalum, canna, lamb's ear, looks like a datura, lavender, stipa (ponytails), an abelia, and that is all I can come up with without going back through your older posts to see what you have in your garden!

Diana said...

Janet -- you've got some of them for sure, but I think i put too many pictures in the contest -- I've had almost no response - I think I scared some people off! It's open til Weds, but you're it so far!

Diana said...

GetGrounded -- I think you know most of these -- you've got until Wedsnesday! I saw some of the entries for GGW, I've gotta search for some photos!

Janet said...

I think one of them is a goldenrod...maybe. How is that for being decisive?

Annie in Austin said...

Getting all of them is too hard for me, Diana, but since everyone but Janet has backed off, here are guesses on some:Could the first one be Evergreen sumac? Pretty sure about TX Mountain Laurel, then maybe Loropetalum, Salvia leucantha, Mexican feather grass, Spanish lavender, then a mystery, then Lambs ears? Next might be your famous variegated lemon, followed by Datura, lantana, canna, Mexican heather and maybe a begonia?

How did I do?

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Diana said...

Annie - that's really impressive. You've gotten a bunch of them. I'll let you all know the results on Thursday!

Diana said...

We have a winner! Annie of the Transplantable Rose -- you win! You got 11 right. I'll email you about getting you the book. Congratulations.

Here are the plant names from top to bottom of the post: Candlestick Tree, Pride of Barbados tree, Texas Mountain Laurel, Abelia, Loropetalum, Mexican Bush Sage -Salvia Leucantha, Mexican Feather grass, Spanish Lavender, Acacado Tree, Lambs Ears, Variegated Lemon Tree, Datura, Trailing Lantana, Canna, Mexican Heather, Variegated Hibiscus.

Annie in Austin said...

Thanks, Diana - it was fun to play- even more fun to win.

What a great variety of stuff you grow in your garden!

Annie