Friday, March 20, 2009

Spectacular signs of Spring

Here she is, Miss Tangerine Crossvine in her full spring splendor. See how gracefully she climbs up into the nearby Live Oak tree?
Her blooms are cheerful and bright - bringing a cacophony of color into the shady corner bed.
And she just keeps on cruising down the fenceline, spreading her beauty.
Out front the little Anacacho Orchid tree that I planted last year is living up to her full expectations with a profusion of delicate white blooms.

The variegated lemon tree is chock full of pink buds, ready to burst into lemony goodness very soon. The bees are eager for the buds to open, too, as they were hovering around just like me!
Green beans peek out of the ground in the veggie garden.
The tomatoes planted before we left for our Indiana Spring Break trip were damaged by the 1 cold night in Austin last week. I think it got down to the mid-30s and the tomatoes all have leaf damage, but they will be fine. See, this one has a BLOOM!!!!! A wannabe tomato...the plants may not be pretty any more, but they are growing and developing, so I won't complain.
These are the White Icicle Radishes shown in the sidebar photo above. Tasty - and spicy.
Here's another Bluebonnet blooming in the greenhouse bed. I gave in a planted plants this year as I have not had luck with seeds -- we just have too much mulch where I want to plant them, so I carefully amended the soil and pulled back the mulch and put in 15 plants this spring.
The Mexican Plum tree is full of blooms this week, too.
Aren't they pretty?
This, however, is NOT so pretty. Witness, please the GAZILLION Live Oak leaves that are cascading from my trees. If they were white, you'd think it was snowing in parts of my yard. And they aren't even 1/2 done with their littering of my beds.

I'm itching to get out there and blow them elsewhere, but more will fall right into their place, so I will wait a week or two. I know, for instance, that there are dozens of wildflower seedlings under here waiting to get out...and I can't wait to see them...next week maybe!

16 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Isn't it great to be back home again? Spring is way ahead in Austin. Lovely vine growing there.

Diana said...

Lisa - it is good to be home. You know, the first thing I did, at 10:00 at night, was go out to the veggie garden to take a look at what happened to everything while we were gone! THAT is a gardening geek!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

The cross vine is very pretty! Do the hummingbirds like it?

kate smudges said...

Wow ~ you have so much blooming in your garden. The Bluebonnets are so beautiful and Miss Tangerine Crossvine is breathtaking. I love the Anacacho Orchid tree ~ stunning blooms. The tomatoes look healthy and there are already beans showing. Happy Spring to you!!

Janet said...

Looks like spring came while you were gone! The Crossvine is beautiful. Lots of veggies coming along. Please tell me that lemon was in the greenhouse!? if not, I am so jealous.
Love those bluebonnets!

Diana said...

Robin - the Hummers do like it. I haven't seen any back yet this year, but my Mom said she did the other day. Most of my garden is hummingbird/butterfly food.

Kate - thanks - it's nice to have some warm weather and to be in the garden. I just love Spring -- walking around and discovering new things that have popped out.

Janet - no - that is my outside lemon tree -- it was amazing last year and it looks like this will be another good one. I got a couple hundred lemons off it last year.

getgrounded said...

Welcome back home, Diana. What a sight to greet you, that gorgeous crossvine. I have visions of that kind of show someday in my yard if my poor drought stricken vines can ever catch up. Love that orchid tree! How's the wisteria doing?

Diana said...

GetGrounded - Thanks - it was a welcome sight to come home to. Funny you should ask about the Wisteria. Since you know my garden well, I edited and simply didn't even take a Wisteria photo because it wasn't all that interesting. It is blooming, but it seemed faint and small compared to the Crossvine, so I left it out. Maybe I will look at it again today and see how it's doing.

Carol at Lost Valley Gardens said...

Your garden is looking great. I have been considering growing crossvine on our new trellis. Yours is beautiful!

Pam/Digging said...

Welcome back, Diana. Your crossvine does look great, as does everything else. Now gardening under live oaks, I'm learning firsthand about the incredible spring leaf drop. They're quite a nuisance, actually. I fell today on a downhill path that was smothered in slippery live oak leaves, but no injuries except pride, thank goodness.

Gail said...

Diana, Welcome home! The crossvine is spectacular...You don't want the oak leaves to smother the wildflowers! Can you mower mulch them and add them to the compost pile? gail

Diana said...

Carol - the Crossvine doesn't bloom as long as many vines, but its leaves are verey colorful year round here.

Pam - they are a pain aren't they? I know they are slippery - sorry you fell. S'ok - my dog dragged me down the street the other day, so I can empathize.

Gail - I'm going to blow them with my little gas blower -- can't stand not seeing them!

Carol at Lost Valley Gardens said...

I would like to turn lemons into lemonade by running all my oak leaves through a shredder and using them as mulch. As you point out they are unsightly in their raw form, but I bet that they would look almost as good as bark mulch if they were shredded into a uniform size.

Sherri said...

Here in NC we have another month before we can set out tomatoes - Lucky!

Isaac said...

Any hummers on the cross vine?

Diana said...

Lost Valley Carol - Unfortunately, the oak leaves are not in my grass, but in my beds! So, no mowing for me - and I think they are too hard to compost with - it takes forever for them to break down.

Sherri -- so, do you have any tomatoes inside just to get them started? I just get so antsy!

Isaac - I have not seen any hummers yet, but my mom - 10 minutes away, says she saw one this weekend, so I am keeping an eye out.