Saturday, March 7, 2009

It's veggie time ...

The veggies are all in.

The decision to empty out the greenhouse also meant that the veggie seedlings had to have somewhere to go -- namely, the garden.

So I spent all day yesterday and most of today weeding, mixing in fresh compost, and plotting where to squeeze in all the plants and seeds I've been collecting.

I wanted to show you a picture of the 17, yes, count 'em, 17 nasty grubs that I dug out while digging 8 holes in the first bed. Can you believe that? Ewww. I put them all in a pot in the sun as a holding place and they died. But before I could take a picture of my "collection" they all disappeared. Weird. The wind was blustery yesterday, so they could have blown away once they dried up, or a bird could have swooped in and eaten them. Ewww...
Speaking of the wind, the poor little tomato plants were all being whipped about and I am worried about them being under such stress. But the fact is that we are on a hill and our neighborhood is called the Overlook, so we always have wind here. This will just have to toughen them up since they can't stay in the greenhouse any longer.
These are the strawberries, planted last spring, spilling out messily into the mulch pathways. I have to do quite a dance in the garden to step around them, but I just can't prune them back. (As you know, I have a problem with this!)
And all but one these tomatoes were grown from Tomato Bob's Heirloom seeds. In this bed we have Black Krim, Omar's Lebanese and Hank. I also grew a Big Boy from seed and he's in there, too, along with dill, cilantro, a red bell pepper, a jalapeno and six marigolds for pest control.

In the other two beds I have:

  • radishes
  • green onions
  • lettuce
  • cucumbers
  • okra
  • bush beans
  • edamame
  • chives
  • cilantro
  • leeks
  • curly parsley and
  • strawberries

Yum!

We are supposed to have a chance of rain for the next 5 days, and nights will be in the 50s and 60s, days in the 60s and 70s.

Grow, veggies, grow...

Are there veggies in your garden yet, or in the garden in your mind? Little seedlings starting in the windowsill? What's on your veggie list for 2009?

13 comments:

Janet said...

I haven't grown edamame....is it a cooler season legume? They are good raw, guess one could cook them too. Nice collection of plants. My veggie list is short this year. It will have tomatoes, green peppers, maybe some cukes. Our garden is getting over shadowed as the trees get bigger. My herbs are on the deck in pots (except for the rosemary)..on the deck I have fur different types of thyme, tri-colored sage, curly parsley, bay, oregano, and have seeds for some annual savory. The basil reseeded last year, so I am hoping for another reseeding. If not, I will add some either seeds or plants.

Diana said...

Janet -- I don't know about the Edamame, but rwe are just so much warmer here -- it's going to get hot soon enough! My veggie garden is in full, hot, Texas sun. Wish I had all those herbs you have, but I don't have space left in the garden. I may try a few non-invasive things in a garden bed.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Wow, this is a serious veggie garden Diana. Your in-laws will be so jealous that you can get started so early in the season.

Love seeing all your progress.

Janet said...

Diana, like I said, my herbs are in pots on the deck (two male dogs...) I bought one of those big shallow pots and have silver-edged thyme, tri-colored sage, curly parsley, had basil during the summer, and will add savory to it. It is on top of another clay pot that is overturned so it is up high. I usually lose my parsley to the swallowtail caterpillars. I think of herbs as Mediterranean plants...more drought tolerant...so I don't worry about having to water very often at all. Think I watered that pot all of about 4 or 5 times all summer and we were not having much rain.
(and it is four not fur types of thyme ;^) )

Tina Vaziri said...

I have black krim seedlings that will soon go into the garden too! I'm very excited about them. I love seeing your set up, I need to buy some nice big tomato cages too.

Gail said...

Diana, I am not a vegetable gardener but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the beauty of a garden filled with vegetables or the hard work it took to get it ready to go! We tweaked the patio landscape plans and used a 4 foot rosemary as a anchor plant for a small herb bed, not yet sure what else I will plant...but chard, basil and parsley are on the list. Have a fun rest of the weekend~~gail

Diana said...

Lisa - you're right - my in-laws will be jealous, but then again, they have the most amazing garden tomatoes that I have ever eaten, and they come in August -- well worth waiting for!

Janet - amazing that you only watered your herbs 4 or 5 times last summer. We had 40+ days of over 100 degrees so I had to water daily. I sure hope we're not in for that again!

Tina - Good luck with your Black Krims. I got my square cages at Gardeners Supply Co and I love them. They are so much better than round ones or stakes.

How fun that you made room for an herb bed, Gail. How is the construction going? Are you hanging in there? That will be the perfect place to just step out and snip yourself some fresh herbs for dinner.

Janet said...

I well remember Texas summers. had my first baby on the 42nd consecutive day over 100. Two years later had another summer pregnancy. I know we in Virginia don't have quite the summer you do.... but herbs are pretty good in pots.

Lancashire rose said...

Looking good Diana. Those are some pretty fancy tomato cages. Did you buy them in Austin. I am recycling the home made ones made from wire D made 6 years ago. They are getting shorter as the wire at the bottom tends to bend and needs to be trimmed. Another few years out of them I hope. That wind was pretty fierce and I ended up taking my toms back in the greenhouse. They are now in gallon pots as they quickly outstripped their smaller pots. Some have flowers but I doubt they will produce a tom so early. I'll give it another week before I put them in the ground. We are colder here and if the temp isn't 70 then they just sit and do nothing.

mss @ Zanthan Gardens said...

Love those nice big tomato cages. That's always my biggest problem...how am I going to support the tomatoes. Well, and finding a reliably sunny spot to plant them in.

Look forward to more progress reports on the veggie garden.

Diana said...

Janet -- two summer babies -- you did more than your share of suffering! Mine were December and January, thankfully. I have a few big pots -- may put some of those invasive herbs in them...now you've gotten me thinking!

Lancashire Rose -- it's great to be able to reuse those tomato cages for years, isn't it? These are great -- from Gardeners Supply and so sturdy because they are square.

MSS - Gardeners Supply. But I'm afraid I need more of the tall ones -- last year my tomatoes got so tall. I have to look and see if the seeds I raised were indeterminate or determinate...yikes! They come in two sizes - I kept the tops off of two tall ones to make extra short cages!

kate smudges said...

I love the enclosure for your vegetable garden. It will certainly keep the two dogs out. It looks as if you will have lots of wonderful veggies to enjoy in the coming months.

Still a long while to go before planting out begins (towards the end of May)... so lots of time to plan.

Diana said...

Kate - thanks -- I love my little fence - it keeps tomato-eating dogs out, but the bunnies are sneaky! I know it's hard to wait until May, but there is a lot to be said for planning!