Sunday, March 1, 2009

Garden geek, or not?


I think we all secretly wonder if we've crossed the line into 'Garden Geekdom.' And Carol, of May Dreams Gardens has a formula for determining this as it relates to Valentine's gifts.

I'm not sure if I qualify or not, but here's what I got for my birthday -- tell me what you think!
A little bird-house night light
A garden-inspired candle in a lovely shade of green with a butterfly
A bird house, a fairy house and a little birdie
A garden snail that doesn't require beer for bait!
A little herb pot with seeds. 

And, not shown, a gift certificate for 2 - yes, count them, 2, 90-minute massages to recuperate from all the gardening!

So, does that make me a geek.  (BTW, none of these items were requested or on a wish list.  All my sweet loved ones came up with these amazing and beautiful ideas all on their own!)

13 comments:

Janet said...

Looks like you are well loved and known well...great gifts!

Gail said...

Diana, The very best gifts for a gardener....and won't the massages be wonderful after some serious garden labor! gail

getgrounded said...

Wow, that's quite a haul! Your family obviously knows you well. I love the butterfly. How fun it all is.

Diana said...

Janet - You are so right, and I am so lucky.

Gail - I know - I can't wait to NEED those massages.

Robin - They do know me well, and isn't that nice? I'd so much rather have a lovely little garden tidbit than some big expensive thing or jewelry.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

A belated Happy Birthday from one Garden Geek to another. Very thoughtful gifts from your loved ones. They obviously know you well.

Diana said...

Lisa - Thanks. They do know me well, and it's so fun to have new garden-themed toys!

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

I think you're there, but dive on in, the water's fine! Happy Birthday.~~Dee

Lancashire rose said...

Lucky you. I want to be a garden geek too!

Diana said...

Dee - As Carol would say, I'm embracing it!!

Lancashire Rose -- I'm sure you are a Garden Geek, too!

EAL said...

Wow! My loved ones are not nearly that well-trained. Wonderful gifts.

Diana said...

EAL -- I know, I got really lucky this year. I guess those are fail safes. Last year I sent my DH to teh local nursery for some of their pretty things and got knee pads and clippers and a feeder! But still garden geeky stuff -- just a little geekier!

Jan (Thanks For 2 Day) said...

Diana, you are well cared for indeed;-)

My birthday is in 2 days and I told my husband not to worry about any gifts because I've already purchased so many garden-related things lately that we can count those! ie: knee pads, tools, books, etc.

I read a comment you left at Robin's re: the mulch your dad bought w/the grubs in it! How disgusting. I'd be upset over it I'm quite sure. Can he get his $$?

Diana said...

Jan - No, he's had it for a while, even though it was still sealed up, but what a horrible story, right? Maybe I should post those photos to warn people to beware what they buy. They just give me the creeps. I have a lot in my yard and I hate it every time I dig one up (which is about every time I dig). But to have dozens of them in one place --- ewwww!