Friday, March 6, 2009

Ah ha -- garden guest uncovered!

Ok...this post is from Tanner.

I've been trying to help my mom decipher the garden salad bar thief mystery.

I keep snooping around...

looking...

sniffing...

barking...

and, yes, eating.

Today I finally led her to the best clue. She was sneaking up on me, hoping to find me doing something mischievous (who, me?).

And I had my nose deeply buried in the grass, chomping on a little snack.

What did she find when she came over? Rabbit turds! Yumm-o.

She was grossed out, needless to say, and shoed me away for further inspection of the clues.


So, now she can set about fixing some of the gaps under the garden fence and keep that little bunny out of the salad bar.

I mean, if she put up that fence to keep ME from eating tomatoes, and I LIVE here, then no rabbits should be allowed in there to get what I can't have.

Don't you think that's only fair?

I'll be on careful watch now to make sure the bunny doesn't come back in the yard, either.

That's my job, after all!

I'm a good boy. That's all for my post today, now I'll turn it back over to Mom!
--- Tanner


Mom, here. Ok - I decided everyone needs to come out of the greenhouse before next week's trip to Indiana. Here's the last photo of the plants all nestled in their winter beds.


A few plants are happily blooming in the warmth of the greenhouse, like this hibiscus.
Bougainvilla
Geranium
Dutchman's pipe in full, fragrant bloom.

In addition to the tropical plants, now all the veggies have to go into the veggie garden. So I have been composting and planting and digging out grubs today.

Took a lunch break, but now I have to get back out there. We're supposed to have chances of rain, glorious rain, from Sunday through Thursday and I want to make sure the veggies are ready for it.

11 comments:

Janet said...

Diana, bunny poop is a great delicacy for my four legged threesome. One would imagine with three dogs that the bunnies would not be right by the back door. Don't have to cut back my Tradescantia virginiana! Must be a bunny fave!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh Tanner, I am glad Mom found out that the rabbits are eating her veggies.

Mom, no wonder you don't want to leave your beautiful flowers in the greenhouse. Your greenhouse looks fabulous.

getgrounded said...

Tanner, Tanner, Tanner, sigh...If you really needed help with a bunny problem, you should have just called me. After I showed you just how far you need to stay away from me, I would have eliminated the bunny crisis over a few days or so. And hey, buddy, show a little class - no more turds, okay? Flash the Wonder Cat

Diana said...

Janet -- Tanner is a notorious poop-eater. Always has been. Ewww... anyone's poop - he's not very discriminating! Sorry about your Tradescantia -- the bunnies ate mine last year, along with my Toad Lilies ... so sad.

Lisa -- I'm just glad it was bunnies and not someone less pleasant! Wish you could smell the greenhouse today -- those while Dutchman's pipe blooms are very fragrant, and I never knew it when they were hanging in the trees outside.

GetGrounded -- Flash, nothing personal, but I have a thing about cats. I eat them...well, I'd like to and I try to get at them every chance I get. I'll take care of the bunnies, don't you worry you empty little cat-head about it!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Lilly loves to eat it too. Gross! It is amazing how much a little bunny can poop.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Tanner, Bunny poo is excellent fertilizer, please don't eat it. Feed it to the plants.

Gail said...

Diana, I haven't a puppy and my house kitty isn't into poo...so I am spared some pet surprises. Your blooming hibiscus looks like it is staring out the window with longing or fear! Could he be wondering>>>"Are there bunnies out there?" Have a good weekend! gail

Diana said...

Robin - And Lilly seems like such a sweet girl. She and Tanner would get along fine, it seems! Where do they get those bad habits -- ewww!

Debbi -- Thanks for the advice for Tanner, unfortunately, listening isn't his strong suit!!!

Gail - Lucky you. And cats even bury their poop. They are much more refined, I fear! The hibiscus was longing to get outside, until she went and realized that it's totally blustery and windy out there and now she's stuck on the patio. The grass is always greener...!

Kylee said...

Mmmmm! Yummy blooms! Especially the bougainvillea. I just love it and wish we could grow it in the ground year round here. Everything looks so nice and neat and organized there. And your soil looks so rich and loose! :-)

Diana said...

Kylee - Thanks for the nice comments. I had to LOL when you said the soil looks loose! It's about as compacted and sticky a clay as you can imagine - black and some red. I am getting used to amending every single hole I did to try to loosen up the bottom and encourage some drainage. Just goes to show you, looks can be deceiving!

Kylee said...

We've got horrid sticky clay here, too. In fact, this area used to be known for making clay tile before they starting using the plastic tile. You can't just dig a hole and put a plant in it and expect it to live. (Not that you can really do that anywhere, but you know what I mean.)