Saturday, February 28, 2009

Seriously? Bluebonnets...in February?

No, this isn't last year's photo.

It isn't a silk flower.

It isn't a painting.

This is the first Bluebonnet of the season.  With the tiniest piece of a bloom opening to these warm February days.

Yesterday it was 91 here.  Last night it was 41 at our house and today it's 60 with up to 40 mph winds.    I'm ready for the winds to STOP so I can get to work on...this box!

Here we have my mail order -- filled with little gems to put in various gardens.  I love High Country Gardens - their plants all came healthy and they include icons in their catalog to tell you if their plants are deer and rabbit resistant.  That's critical information for me and saves me so many steps when they print it right there.
So, we have some lilies, creeping germander, thyme, four-nerve daisy and agastache.
Thymus 'Pink Chintz'
Hymenoxys Acaulis
Teucrium Aroanium

Agastache 'Acapulco Salmon & Pink'
These are my baby daffodils - planted long ago and name long-lost!

The bees and the butterflies were literally swarming around the Texas Mountain Laurels yesterday.  I kept trying to get a close-up of this butterfly and there was one bee who kept trying to dive-bomb me, certain that I was going to take away his dinner.  I told him I meant him no harm, but he didn't listen, so I gave up and settled for a lesser photo, and me, unstung!


9 comments:

Janet said...

Diana, High Country Gardens looks nice, I requested a catalogue. Can't believe you had a bluebonnet blooming! wow

Gail said...

Diana,

How exciting to have blooming blue bonnets! Wow on the temps...It seems very warm for February? Is it? The Texas Mountains Laurels are lovely...I wondered about High Country, both their website and catalog are stellar...nice to see their plants look healthy and larger then many mail order plants. It all looks wonderful in Austin! gail

getgrounded said...

Diana, I love your box of goodies. What a great idea for your birthday. But I'm stunned at the bluebonnet! And your Mountain Laurel is a few days ahead of mine - so early. I'm very worried about the upcoming summer, aren't you?

Jan (Thanks For 2 Day) said...

I planted some TX Blue Bonnet...in my seed trays. Time will tell if they survive.
Your butterfly photo is wonderful. This time of year we don't see any of these guys. In fact, it's snowing tonight in northern VA. Talk about strange weather...ours can't make up its mind either;)

Diana said...

Janet - you'll enjoy their catalog - they also group plants in logical sections for various climates and needs.

Gail -- It is warm, but we frequently have shorts weather on my birthday, so it's not that unusual to have it get that warm every few years. But that see sawing back and forth kills me! And the plants were boiling in my greenhouse on Friday!

GetGrounded -- yes, I am concerned about the summer. Since we missed much of winter and it's so warm now, I sure hope we don't have those early hot temps that stop our veggies from setting fruit again.

Jan -- It must seem even crazier to you to have the snow on top of the warm weather -- I can't imagine that. At least we will warm up from our almost-freeze last night to the 60s today. I just have to change clothes 3 X a day!

getgrounded said...

By the way, Diana, I forgot to mention previously that I love your garden boots showing in the photo of your gift box from High Country!

Diana said...

GetGrounded -- like those boots, huh? You should see what the landscape "guys" look at me like when I come out to help/work with them on projects. I can just imagine what they are saying about me!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What a delightful box of goodies. Just seeing these gives me the itch to do some planting. Of course it is way too cold here. I will just have to garden vicariously right now. The mountain laurel is gorgeous. I saw one blooming in the valley but it must have been mostly finished. No bees were working it. Your bees are just in that spring state of overdrive probably, very jealous of their limited food sourse.

Diana said...

Lisa - Now I just need to put all those plants into the ground! I'll have to water first, we're so ery dry it's like busting rock! Those bees definitely were in a frenzy. I tried to calmly ignore them, but there is only so much dive-bombing and loud, insistent buzzing I can take!