Sunday, February 10, 2008

Bulbs, bulbs, bulbs...

Call me crazy! I have bulbs coming up, right on schedule, like they're supposed to here in Austin, Texas. BUT, I also still have bulbs sitting in their bags because I was only able to get 1/2 of them in the ground when I was supposed to be planting them. [Here, that's about Thanksgiving time]


So, I'm trying an experiment. If I don't plant them, they won't come up, so I have little to lose other than my time and effort. I put them in the ground this week. Daffodils, irises and allium. This will turn into a beautiful clump of daffodils next Spring -- if I'm lucky! [I focus on the daffodils because the deer have left them alone] The irises and allium are a test. I'm assuming the scent of the allium might protect them -- we'll see.
How hideous is this? Know what it is?

We have a pomegranate tree in the front bed and I simply can't get the fruit to ripen properly, or I'm not picking them properly. They seem to be very under-ripe and then, WHAM -- they explode. This looks like a scary Halloween mask to me!

Mystery Plant Revealed!


I received lots of good guesses about this vine -- but no correct answers. So, drumroll, please! Here it is....my fabulous, young WISTERIA, on the back fence, starting to take on some color and getting ready for beautiful spring blooms.

5 comments:

jodi said...

Wow--I never would have guessed that was wisteria. Ditto the pomagranate, although I loved your description as a Halloween mask. Zombie fruit, anyone?

Annie in Austin said...

The wisteria fooled me, too, Diana - does cold weather make the leaves purple?

Even a weird looking pomegranate is better than none. Mine never made one blossom last year but I have hopes for 2008!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Diana said...

Annie - I think you must be right about the cold on the leaves, interesting - how they go from that lime green to such a deep purple. I guess I have to learn more about that pomegranate -- I'd sure like to eat one off that tree someday ... any suggestions out there?

Lori said...

Wow, I never would have guessed that was wisteria. Did you get the regular stuff or the native Texas variety?

Diana said...

I think that's the regular wisteria - but I really don't remember. I'll have to post when it's in bloom and see if you guys can tell for me!